Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
The AAMC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
We develop strategic initiatives to cultivate a diverse and culturally prepared workforce, advance inclusion excellence, imbue equity-mindedness, and enhance engagement with local communities. Learn more about our mission, goals, programs and initiatives, organized by portfolio.
What's New in Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
Applications due March 20 for the Telehealth Equity Catalyst Awards
AAMC-member institutions will be awarded up to $15,000 each for programming that can serve as models for other institutions to address and mitigate the barriers to care associated with telehealth, particularly for underserved and under-resourced communities.
IDEAS Learning Series: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Anti-racism
IDEAS is a monthly webinar series to help you foster inclusive environments; create equitable advancement, promotion, and tenure policies; and promote anti-racist policies, education, and institutional practices. Join us on March 21 for our next webinar, “Becoming Active Bystanders and Advocates.”
Applications due April 3 for AAMC NEXT Grant
The AAMC Nurturing Experiences for Tomorrow’s Community Leaders (NEXT) Grant will award five grants of up to $40,000 each for institutions to develop or enhance health and health care initiatives for learners to confront racism and advance health equity in partnership with local communities.
AAMC Awards Now Accepting Nominations
The Herbert W. Nickens Awards recognize faculty and students for outstanding contributions to addressing health inequity. The Spencer Foreman Award for Outstanding Community Engagement recognizes an AAMC-member institution committed to partnering with the community it serves to identify and address community needs. Nominations are due in March and April.
Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion Initiatives
The AAMC leads and supports initiatives and projects to advance equity, diversity, and inclusion in the academic medicine community.
- Sexual and Gender Harassment
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)
- Action Collaborative for Black Men in Medicine
- Holistic Review
- Population Health Education
Data & Reports
The AAMC publishes a variety of reports on topics related to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Diversity Facts and Figures Series
- The State of Women in Medicine Series
- Teaching Residents Population Health Management
- Health Equity in Academic Medicine: Recommendations From an AAMC Community Roundtable in Washington, D.C.
The AAMC publishes numerous resources focused on subjects relevant to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Accessibility, Inclusion, and Action in Medical Education: Lived Experiences of Learners and Physicians with Disabilities
- Reshaping the Journey: American Indians and Alaska Natives in Medicine
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD
- Proceedings of the Diversity and Inclusion Innovation Forum: Unconscious Bias in Academic Medicine
- Holistic Admissions in the Health Professions: Findings from a National Survey
- Altering the Course: Black Males in Medicine
The AAMC offers several additional resources that help advance equity, diversity, and inclusion in academic medicine.
- Diversity and Inclusion Video Learning Series
- Sexual and Gender Minority Health
- Diversity Engagement Survey
- Summer Enrichment & Pipeline Programs
- Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR)
- Tool for Assessing Cultural Competence Training (TACCT)
Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion Issues
The AAMC is the leading voice and advocate for the nation’s medical schools and teaching hospitals. We work with federal policy makers to ensure that the perspective of our member organizations is incorporated into federal legislation and regulation.
- AAMC Statement on Immigration and Family Separation
- Supporting Medical Students and Residents With DACA Status
- AAMC Submits Comments on Proposed Objectives for Healthy People 2030
Professional Development Resources
Join a Group
Leadership Development and Training
- Register for a training opportunity
- Healthcare Executive Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program (HEDIC)
- Grant Writers Coaching Group for NIH Awards
- Minority Faculty Leadership Development Seminar
- Mid-Career Minority Faculty Leadership Seminar
- Early Career Women Faculty Leadership Development Seminar
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Leadership Development Seminar
- Transforming Biomedical Research and Academic Faculty through Leadership Opportunities, Training, and Mentorship (TRANSFORM)
- Unconscious Bias Train-the-Trainer Program for the Health Professions
“Understanding the assumptions and behaviors that are tied to our implicit biases allows teams to engage and embrace their differences and move toward solving complex problems.”
David A. Acosta, MD, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
MedEdPORTAL: Diversity, Inclusion, and Health Equity
Our collection of diversity, inclusion and health equity resources.
Academic Medicine: Justice, Disparities, and Meeting the Needs of Our Most Vulnerable Populations
Our collection of articles about how to eliminate inequities in care received by vulnerable and underserved populations.