Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS)
The Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS) advances the full and successful participation and inclusion of women within academic medicine by addressing gender equity, recruitment and retention, awards and recognition, and career advancement.
Guide to the Group on Women in Medicine and Science
Faculty members, or administrators at AAMC member medical schools and teaching hospitals with a sustained interest in advocacy for women’s advancement and leadership in medicine and science and who want to be involved in concrete ways are welcome to join GWIMS.
This is an open membership, so either the deans and CEOs of member organizations can put forth names for designated representatives or additional members, or individuals can self-nominate.
The GWIMS steering committee increases the visibility of the membership through collaborative engagement with AAMC groups, Councils, and with the gender equity community at large through projects, webinars, and meetings.
Committee efforts include input into the development of AAMC policy, strategic engagement with AAMC Action Plans, and combined efforts to release relevant and compelling data on women in academic medicine and science that describes both challenges and solutions.
Spotlights of Women in Medicine and Science
- A Quantitative Linguistic Analysis of National Institutes of Health R01 Application Critiques From Investigators at One Institution
- Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
- Changing the Culture of Academic Medicine: Perspectives of Women Faculty
- Gender-Related Differences in the Pathway to and Characteristics of U.S. Medical School Deanships
- Women in Medicine and Science Articles from Academic Medicine
- The Effect of an Intervention to Break the Gender Bias Habit for Faculty at One Institution
- The Next Generation of Title IX: STEM-Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- Women as Physician Leaders
Eric Wilkerson, Director, GWIMS
Stephany Aguilar, Engagement Specialist, GWIMS
To reach a staff member of GWIMS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
My AAMC Affinity Groups
View your AAMC Affinity Group participation including other members of your active Groups via the My AAMC Affinity Group page. Sign in required.