There have been many advancements in medical education over the past 20 years, including how outcomes such as competencies are defined and used to guide teaching and learning. To support this positive change, the AAMC launched the New and Emerging Areas in Medicine series.
This third report in the series focuses on competencies for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). These cross-continuum competencies help educators design or adapt curricula and help educators and learners in their individual professional development and DEI journeys. The competencies are for use in:
- Engaging health care professionals in collaborative DEI discussions, including cross-continuum and cross-discipline colleagues.
- Conducting gap analyses of local curricula and training programs.
- Self-assessing and planning individual professional development.
- Developing curricular learning objectives.
- Developing assessment tools.
- Furthering research and scholarship in medical education and DEI.
- Guiding the strategic integration of DEI into the formal curricula and the clinical learning environment.