Group on Diversity and Inclusion (GDI)
The Group on Diversity and Inclusion (GDI) supports the efforts of AAMC-member institutions and academic medicine to realize the benefits of diversity and inclusion in medicine and biomedical sciences.
GDI Business Meeting and Awards Recognition
- 2021 GDI Business Meeting and Awards Recognition (Video)
- GDI Business Meeting Nov 2021 Graphic Recording 1 (PDF)
- GDI Business Meeting Nov 2021 Graphic Recording 2 (PDF)
- Slides for GDI Business Meeting and Awards Recognition (PDF)
- 2021 Selected Initiatives in Diversity Equity and Inclusion (PDF)
- 2021 Herbert W. Nickens Awards Program Book (PDF)
Guides, Toolkits and Webinars
- Sharing Your Scholarship with the World: The Art of Writing and Getting Published (Video)
- Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Planning Toolkit
- The NIH Scientific Workforce Diversity Interactive Toolkit
- New Diversity and Inclusion Officer Toolkit (PDF)
- The Way Forward: A Logic Model for Diversity and Policy Programs
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Initiatives
Data and Reports
Guide to the Group on Diversity and Inclusion
How the AAMC Defines Diversity and Inclusion
Embodies inclusiveness, mutual respect, and multiple perspectives and serves as a catalyst for change resulting in health equity. In this context, we are mindful of all aspects of human differences such as socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, geography, disability and age.
Inclusion is a core element for successfully achieving diversity. Inclusion is achieved by nurturing the climate and culture of the institution through professional development, education, policy, and practice. The objective is creating a climate that fosters belonging, respect, and value for all and encourages engagement and connection throughout the institution and community.
GDI aligns its efforts with those of the AAMC to assist medical schools, teaching hospitals, academic and professional societies in navigating challenges, strengthening the communities we serve, and improving the health of the public. GDI’s objective is to create a climate that fosters belonging, respect, and value for all and encourages engagement and connection throughout the institution and community.
As a core value, diversity embodies inclusiveness, mutual respect, and multiple perspectives, serving as a catalyst for health equity. As the GDI assists in the advancement of diversity across the entire professional spectrum, it will also underscore the importance of addressing the issues related to those historically underrepresented in medicine, and never lose sight of the ultimate goals of providing care to the underserved and eliminating health inequities.
GDI members are appointed or can request to join the group.
Learn about GDI membership.
GDI has three national priorities:
- diversity and inclusion in faculty;
- diversity and inclusion in graduate medical education (GME); and
- diversity and inclusion in professional development/institutional climate.
Each priority has short- and long-term goals, which are developed through GDI membership and cross-group collaborations.
The GDI Charter (PDF) provides information about GDI membership, elected and appointed officers, steering committee, elections, and meetings.
Meet the leaders of the Group on Diversity and Inclusion and learn about the steering committee.
Exemplary Leadership Award
This award recognizes innovative leadership and impact from an individual or team responsible for developing and implementing an outstanding and highly effective program that demonstrates evidenced-based best practices for enhancing diversity and inclusion in academic medicine and biomedical sciences.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
My AAMC Affinity Groups
View your AAMC Affinity Group participation including other members of your active Groups via the My AAMC Affinity Group page. Sign in required.