Group on Institutional Planning (GIP)
The primary mission of the AAMC’s Group on Institutional Planning (GIP) is to advance the discipline of planning in academic medicine by enhancing the skills and knowledge of professional planners, promote the value of planning, and connect people, resources, and ideas.
- Trends in Clinical Offices Across Academic Medical Centers
- 2019 Summary on Institutional Space Policies Survey
- Learning Spaces for Health Care Education: Best Practices in Design
- Strategic Planning Resources
- Diversity and Inclusion in Academic Medicine: A Strategic Planning Guide
- GIP Toolkit (PDF)
- GIP Orientation Guide (PDF)
- Data Resources for Institutional Planners
- New Buildings
- Virtual Tours Playlist
- Capital Investment Data
- Webinar on Faculty Office Space: Research and Strategies to Address Real Versus Perceived Needs
- Building and Sustaining High Functioning Teams Webinar
- Developing, Implementing and Monitoring Your Strategic Plan
- Operationalizing Your Strategic Plan- Part II
- Effective Communication
- Facilitation - An Invaluable Skill Set to Achieve Organization's Success
- 2020 GBA/GIP Joint Spring Meeting (Cancelled)
- 2019 GIP/GRAND/GBA Symposium
- 2019 GBA/GIP/GDI Joint Spring Meeting
- 2018 GBA/GIP Joint Spring Meeting
Guide to the Group on Institutional Planning
Leadership and Committees
Meet the Staff
Director, Constituent Engagement
Molly Krafcik, MPA
Constituent Engagement Specialist
To reach a member of the GIP program staff, please contact GIP@aamc.org.
The GIP membership is comprised of a diverse group of over 500 leaders responsible for all aspects of institutional planning. GIP members must be appointed by his or her medical school dean or teaching hospital CEO. Learn more about GIP membership.
Connect with other members of the Group on Institutional Planning and stay informed on group news and priorities.
- Tips and Tools to Successfully Implement a Strategic Plan
- Understanding Unconscious Bias in the Health Professions and How to Mitigate It
- Emergency Management and Organizational Resilience in Higher Education: Surviving and Thriving in the Face of Adversity
- Making a Bold Move: Learn How Two Medical Schools Plan to Relocate Their Campuses to Downtown Sites
- Physicians Compensation Strategies and Approaches in a Changing Environment
- Managing the Transition From Fee-For-Service to Population Health Management
- The Use of Data in Master Planning
- Data Governance in Academic Medicine
- Financing the Academic Mission: How Medical Schools Work
- Resources for Communicating Your Strategic Plan: To Enlighten, Convince, Motivate, and Align
Rules and Regulations
Official governance and administration information for members of the Group on Institutional Planning.
Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award program was created to recognize the contributions of members (current and/or former) of the GIP who, by virtue of their effort and service, have contributed significantly to the advancement of the mission of the GIP.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
My AAMC Affinity Groups
View your AAMC Affinity Group participation including other members of your active Groups via the My AAMC Affinity Group page. Sign in required.