Group on Student Affairs (GSA)
The Group on Student Affairs (GSA) addresses issues in medical school admissions, student affairs, student diversity affairs, student financial assistance, and student records at all member medical schools.
- 2022 GSA Annual Business Meeting Recording
- 2022 GSA Annual Report (Sign-In Required)
- Military Match Guide (PDF)
- AAMC Advisory: LCME®-Accredited MD Programs and State Education Requirements for Licensure (PDF)
- Existing Student Civic Advocacy Resources (PDF)
- Civic Advocacy Policy Considerations and Communication for Medical Schools (PDF)
- Report on Residents
- Aligning Technical Standards with 21st Century Medical Education (webinar)
- Guiding Principles for Civic Advocacy by Medical Students and Prospective Applicants (PDF)
- Specialty Response to COVID-19
- AAMC Interview Guidance for the 2022-2023 Residency Cycle
- Best Practices in Admissions Processes for LCME Accredited Medical Schools (Sign-In Required)
- Apply Smart for Residency: Resources for Advisors (Sign-In Required)
- GSA Webinars
- Additional Featured Links
- Post Graduation Name Changes Best Practices (PDF)
- Guidelines for the Development of Chemical Impairment Policies for Medical Schools
- Student Health Services Guidelines (PDF)
- Guidelines for the Consideration of Application for Transfer or Advanced Standing
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Guidelines (PDF)
- AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement
- Compliance with State Authorization
- Recommendations Regarding Health Service for Medical Students
- Recommendations for Revising the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Accessibility, Inclusion, and Action in Medical Education: Lived Experiences of Medical Students and Physicians with Disabilities
Guide to the Group on Student Affairs
The purpose of the group is to advance medical education and, specifically, to represent the interests of medical schools and medical students. The GSA advises the AAMC on matters of policy relating to the GSA's areas of interest and expertise and may recommend such policy to the AAMC governance for consideration. GSA activities include project analysis, program development, and data-gathering about emerging trends to help anticipate and respond effectively to environmental changes as they affect medical education, medical schools, and medical students.
There are three categories of GSA membership: institutional, individual, and affiliate.
Learn more about the GSA in a message from the national chair.
Associated Advisory Committees
Find the committee lists and more about the Associated Advisory Committees below here.
- CiM Advisory Committee
- ERAS Advisory Committee
- The MCAT Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)
Connect with other members of the GSA and stay informed on group news and priorities through the main listserv and role-specific listservs.
Exemplary Service Award
Each year the GSA Exemplary Service Award is presented by the Group on Student Affairs (GSA) to a current or former GSA representative who has demonstrated exemplary service to the GSA.
The Exemplary Service Award is presented by the Group on Student Affairs (GSA) to a current or former GSA representative who has demonstrated exemplary service to the GSA.
“Exemplary service” is defined as significant and sustained leadership, expertise, and/or creativity in addressing an issue or issues of importance to the GSA. Nominees for this award shall have demonstrated, in activities appropriate to membership in the GSA, an extraordinary record of accomplishment, collaborative leadership, resourcefulness, dedication, mentoring of GSA colleagues, and commitment to the mission of the GSA. This service can be as a medical school faculty or staff member; a GSA Institutional Representative or GSA Individual member; the chair or a member of a GSA national committee (Admissions, Student Affairs, Student Diversity Affairs, Student Financial Assistance, and Student Records); a GSA representative to an associated advisory committee (AMCAS, ERAS, MCAT, MSPE, etc...); or a GSA regional or national officer.
2021 Award Recipient
Donna Elliott, MD, EdD
Vice Dean for Medical Education
Chair, Department of Medical Education
Keck School of Medicine of USC
Rules and Regulations
Official governance and administration information for members of the Group on Student Affairs.
Please use the following email addresses for your questions or comments. Your email will be forwarded to the appropriate AAMC staff member.
- Group on Student Affairs (GSA): email@example.com
- Committee on Admissions (COA): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Committee on Student Affairs (COSA): email@example.com
- Committee on Student Diversity Affairs (COSDA): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Committee on Student Financial Assistance (COSFA): email@example.com
- Committee on Student Records (COSR): firstname.lastname@example.org
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
My AAMC Affinity Groups
View your AAMC Affinity Group participation including other members of your active Groups via the My AAMC Affinity Group page. Sign in required.