The GSA National Committee on Student Financial Assistance (COSFA) provides guidance on legislative and regulatory issues regarding the types, availability, and delivery of financial assistance, both loan and scholarship, to medical students.
- Committee Charge
- Message from the Chair
- Member Resources
- Financial Aid Officer Calendar
- COSFA Committee Roster
The mission of COSFA is to provide guidance on legislative and regulatory issues regarding type, availability, and delivery of financial assistance to medical students. COSFA achieves its mission through:
- Receipt of regular reports from the Association staff on the status of specific financial aid legislation and national Association data describing the distribution of financial aid to medical students.
- Consideration of educational and support programs and activities to assist schools in counseling medical students regarding the financing of their medical education and the repayment of student loans.
- Assist with the development of topics for AAMC/GSA conferences and learning opportunities, including webinars.
- Identification of special projects related to issues of national importance and interest.
- Participation in GSA Professional Development Conferences and other AAMC/GSA learning opportunities.
Message from the Chair
It is my honor to serve the national medical school financial aid community and the AAMC as the Chair of the Committee on Student Financial Assistance (COSFA). COSFA is one of the five national committees of the Group on Student Affairs (GSA) who are advisory to the GSA Steering Committee and AAMC. Our committee is comprised of the COSFA Chair, four regional representatives, an Organization of Student Representative (OSR) Liaison, Committee on Student Diversity Affairs (COSDA) representative, a Committee on Student Records (COSR) Liaison, and the GSA National Chair.
The mission of COSFA is to provide guidance to our members and others on legislative and regulatory issues regarding the type, availability, and delivery of financial assistance to medical students. COSFA achieves its mission through:
- Reviewing reports from AAMC staff on the status of specific financial aid legislation and national AAMC data describing the distribution of financial aid to medical students.
- Assessing educational and support programs and activities to assist schools in counseling students about financing their medical education and the repayment of student loans.
- Collaborating with the AAMC’s FIRST (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools) team as well as other GSA committees.
- Identifying special projects related to issues of national importance and interest.
- Participating in Professional Development Conferences.
On behalf of my fellow COSFA members we would like to thank the outgoing members for their contributions to the committee: Wendy Clark, Dr. Donna Jackson, Dr. Kathleen Kashima, Rich Ronnestad and Casey Wiley. We would also like to welcome our new committee members, Dr. Alberto Diaz, Jessica Le Duc, Dr. Hilit Mechaber, Dr. Ranna Nash, and LaShaundria Thomas.
The COSFA committee will look forward to continuing the work of our previous COSFA chairs and representatives. I encourage you to get involved by participating in our community calls, attending the AAMC regional meetings and national professional development conference. Your ideas and suggestions will help achieve the committee goals and advance our efforts.
Cynthia R. Gonzalez (she/her/hers)
Senior Assistant Director Financial Aid
Northwestern University-Feinberg School of Medicine
(Sign In Required for Access to Some Resources)
- GSA Listserv
- Financial Aid Resource for Student Diversity Officers (PPT)
- Matriculating Student Resources for Financial Aid Officers
- Graduating Student Resources for Financial Aid Officers
- Financial Aid Resources
Financial Aid Officer Calendar
The “Financial Aid Officer Calendar (Excel)" outlines key financial aid officer activities and responsibilities throughout the year. Developed by the Association of American Medical Colleges’ Committee on Student Financial Assistance (COSFA), the reference calendar is not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of financial aid officer duties, as priorities and tasks can vary. Please utilize this online format to add your own key dates and deadlines.
COSFA Committee Roster
Cynthia Gonzalez (November 2021- November 2024)
Senior Assistant Director FSM MD Financial Aid
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
GSA National Chair
Hilit Mechaber, MD (November 2022 – November 2023)
Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Committee on Student Diversity Affairs (COSDA) Representative
Ranna Nash, PhD (November 2022 - November 2025)
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medical Education
Assistant Dean for Student Development
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
Committee on Student Records (COSR) Liaison to COSFA
COSFA Liaison to Committee on Student Records (COSR)
La Shaundria L. Thomas, MSM (November 2022 - November 2025)
Program Manager I
Medical Student Financial Services/Admissions and Enrollment Management
Heersink School of Medicine UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Central Region (CGSA) Representative
John Stiles, MEd (March 2022- November 2024)
Office of Student Financial Services
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Northern Region (NEGSA) Representative
Michael Sabara, MEd (November 2021- November 2024)
Director of Financial Services
University of Pennsylvania
Perelman School of Medicine
Southern Region (SGSA) Representative
Alberto J. Diaz Jr., Ph.D. (November 2022 - November 2025)
Director of Financial Assistance
Office of Student Affairs
Florida International University
Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Western Region (WGSA) Representative
Jessica R Le Duc, MS (November 2022 – November 2025)
Director of Financial Aid
The University of Arizona
College of Medicine-Tucson
Organization of Student Representatives (OSR) Liaison
AAMC Staff Liason
Irena Tartakovsky, MD, MS
Director, Constituent Engagement
Association of American Medical Colleges