America's teaching hospitals are where expert patient care and state-of-the-art medical innovation connect to save lives.
With the world’s leading physicians and medical scientists, the most advanced technology, and a team-based approach to care, America’s teaching hospitals offer patients the latest innovations in medical care and the best outcomes.
According to a recent study published in JAMA, patients treated at major teaching hospitals have up to 20% higher odds of survival (PDF), compared to those treated at nonteaching hospitals.
A vital part of the nation's health care infrastructure
Even though they represent only 5% of all short-term, general non-federal hospitals, AAMC-member teaching hospitals provide:
Source: AAMC analysis of FY2021 American Hospital Association data, American College of Surgeons Level 1 Trauma Center designations, 2023, and the National Cancer Institute’s Office of Cancer Centers, 2022. AAMC membership data, December 2022.
Note: Data reflect short-term, general, nonfederal hospitals.
In addition, teaching hospitals are major centers of discovery and innovation: transplants, immunotherapies for cancer, and laproscopic surgery are just three of the many innovations in medical care pioneered at teaching hospitals.
The unique environment at teaching hospitals—where the highest levels of medical expertise join with leaders in medical research—makes them an essential part of training the next generation of physicians and health care professionals. All new health professionals spend at least a portion of their training in a teaching hospital.
Through resources, data, and expertise, the AAMC works to sustain the missions of teaching hospitals and partners with our members to foster innovations in patient care, ensure outstanding educational experiences for future physicians, and make health care safer, more affordable, and more accessible.
Health Care Initiatives
The AAMC works with our member organizations to make patient care safer, more affordable, and more accessible.
- Value Based Care
- Integrating Quality Initiative
- eConsults & Project CORE
- Workforce Studies
- Veterans' Health Care
Data & Reports
The AAMC publishes resources on topics related to health care.
- Advancing the Academic Health System for the Future
- Economic Impact of AAMC-Member Schools & Teaching Hospitals
- Physician Workforce Projections & Reports
- Peer Benchmarking & Data
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Competencies (QIPS)
- State Physician Workforce Data Report
Health Care Issues
The AAMC is the leading voice and advocate for the nation’s medical schools and teaching hospitals. We work with federal policymakers to ensure that the perspective of our member organizations is incorporated into federal legislation and regulation.
- Prescription Drugs and 340B Drug Pricing Program
- Graduate Medical Education (GME): Payments to Teaching Hospitals
- Hospital Payment and Quality
- Physician Payment and Quality
- Telehealth: Digital Health
Professional Development Resources
Attend an event
Join a group
- Join an affinity group or committee
- Advisory Panel on Health Care
- Council of Teaching Hospitals and Health Systems (COTH)
- Compliance Officers' Forum (COF)
- Chief Medical Officers Group (CMOG)
- Group on Faculty Affairs (GFA)
- Group on Institutional Resources (GIR)
- Group on Resident Affairs (GRA)
- Academic Practice Plan Directors (APPD)
- Academic Practice Plan Associate Directors (APPAD)
- Organization of Resident Representatives (ORR)