The role of the chief medical officer (CMO) has rapidly evolved as the health care environment has grown more complex. It is important for today’s academic medicine leaders to train and prepare the next generation of CMOs to successfully meet both the clinical and business demands of this position. This 15-month executive training program defines the unique role, responsibilities, and influence of the CMO as a high-functioning member of the C-suite.
Using a blended approach of peer learning, paired mentors, independent project work and face-to-face and virtual meetings, this curriculum, designed by teaching hospital and health system CMOs, covers administrative and leadership topics that are critical to CMOs’ success.
Who Should Attend?
Newly appointed CMOs who are in their first four years of the position, and senior physician leaders preparing to assume the CMO role in the next one to three years.
The first in person meeting of the 2022-2023 CMO Leadership Academy will be held January 13-14, 2022. Applications are closed. All in-person workshops will take place at the AAMC Learning Center in Washington, D.C.
A virtual welcome session for accepted applicants will be held December 16, 2021.
Application & Fees
As an application-based program that requires support from the applicant’s member institution, applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the program:
- Be from an AAMC member institution or affiliate, or teaching hospital
- Obtain support from the CEO of their teaching hospital or Dean of their medical school
- Identify a care redesign project for implementation while participating in the program
- Commit to attending all in-person and virtual meetings
The application fee for the 2022-2023 cohort of the CMO Leadership Academy is $7,950. This fee covers all program materials, and all meals/refreshment breaks for all six in-person meetings. The fee also includes access to all in-person and virtual content, and registration for the 2022 Chief Medical Officers Group (CMOG) and Group on Faculty Practice (GFP) Meeting.
The fee does not cover optional CME fees, any form of travel to and from meetings, hotel accommodations, project related materials, or registration fees for other AAMC meetings (excluding the 2022 Chief Medical Officers Group (CMOG) and Group on Faculty Practice (GFP) Meeting). Accepted applicants will be responsible for covering program expenses not included in the fee.
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe the critical success factors associated with the CMO role.
- Develop administrative skills required to perform the CMO role.
- Determine opportunities and cultivate strategies to create better alignment within care system.
- Utilize principles and strategies for leveraging influence to motivate individuals, change behaviors, and
drive mutually desired outcomes in the present and/or absence of direct authority.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.