The GWIMS listserv is a private, un-moderated listserv available to designated and additional representatives who advocate for women's advancement in leadership and education, research, clinical practice, and administration. Peers can exchange ideas, post information and questions, and seek solutions using this email list.
To join the listserv
The GWIMS listserv is available to all members. Faculty and staff who advocate for women's advancement can join GWIMS as an additional or designated representative – designated representatives require the approval of approval of their medical school dean or teaching hospital CEO.
You will receive an email confirmation once your subscription has been activated.
To post a message to the GWIMS listserv
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only members of the email discussion list are able to post messages.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines (PDF). In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, GWIMS reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate these rules.
Procedures for Posting Questions
In the subject line, concisely and clearly state the topic area of your question using the archives subject list (included below).
- Concisely and clearly state your question(s).
- Indicate whether you wish to receive responses that are:
Both positive and negative (e.g. “My institution does not have such a program”)
Only positive (e.g. “Yes, we have such a program”).
- Include your signature tag with your name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address.
- Include the following in the body of your email in bold: “Please respond directly to me. Please do not hit “reply all”. Your response, contact information, and institution will be included in a single compiled response that will be shared with the listserv.”
- Send your question to email@example.com
- Compile the responses to your query in a Word document within two weeks of your original post. Include each response as well as the respondent’s contact information, and institution. Email the compilation to the GWIMS listserv.
Procedures for Responding to GWIMS listserv Questions
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information and put your response before the original posting.
- Do not reply all. Send your response to the Poster ONLY. Do not send your message to the entire list.
- Send any specific messages (such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too") only to the poster --not to the entire list.
Rules (Dos and Don’ts)
- Send your message/question only to the most appropriate list(s). Do not post the same message on multiple lists; this is a form of ‘spamming.’
- Use caution when discussing specific products. The information posted on the listserv is visible to all group members, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Remember that GWIMS and other e-mail list participants have the right to reproduce postings to this listserv.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the listserv. Instead, use the Web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing your e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Do not post commercial messages on the listserv. Contact individuals directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Do not challenge or attack others. The listserv is intended to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Allow others to express their opinion, just as you may.
- The AAMC does not allow posting of institutional job descriptions or announcements on any of its discussion lists. The AAMC offers a networking tool for jobseekers and employers at Career Connect.
- Any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal statements materials are strictly prohibited.
GWIMS reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership for individuals who violate these guidelines.
GWIMSWatch is a quarterly newsletter about topics of interest to women in medicine and science edited by the GWIMS Communications Subcommittee. To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org.