The purpose of this web course is to equip VA providers with effective and engaging ways to deliver high quality care to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual (LGB) Veterans, using an inclusive, patient-centered approach. This program will address an education and training need to provide practical application skills providers can use in their clinical care setting and will identify key resources for additional information. Presenters Include: Jonathan Bechard, MD, VA Montana Healthcare System; Jillian Shipherd, PhD, Patient Care Services, VACO; NCPTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System; Jolienne Walters-Harvey, APRN, VAMC Northport; James Halloran, MSN, RN, CNS, VHA Office of Public Health; Deanna Rolstead, MD, Phoenix VA Health Care System; John Blosnich, PhD, Pittsburgh VAMC.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- To identify LGBT specific healthcare needs and disparities.
- To identify examples of incorporating sexual orientation (including the elements identity, attraction and behavior) and sexual behavior as part of routine care from a Veteran-centered perspective.
- To describe strategies for assessing and honoring Veterans’ preferences for documenting LGBT information in their medical record.
- To name strategies health care providers can use that will create an inclusive health care environment.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Authors
- Jillian Shipherd, PhD, Patient Care Services, VACO
- Jonathan Bechard, MD, VA Montana Healthcare System
- John Blosnich, PhD, Pittsburgh VAMC
- Alexis Matza, PhD, Patient Care Services, VACO
- Jennifer A. Bess, PhD, South Texas VHCS
- Derek Burks, PhD, VA Portland Health Care System