Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA)
The SGEA fosters excellence along the continuum of medical education—undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education—by providing a forum for discussing the concerns of the medical education profession, serving as a resource, and acting in an advisory capacity to the GEA and AAMC. This mission is accomplished through communication, cooperation and shared respect among its members.
To accomplish its mission, the SGEA will:
- Enhance the professional development of medical educators
- Advance research and understanding in medical education
- Provide service to the profession, and
- Practice evidence-based principles of medical education.
Save the Dates: 2017 SGEA/SGSA/SOSR Regional Conference
Dates: April 19-23, 2017
Hosted by University of Virginia School of Medicine
Conference Website: https://med.virginia.edu/sgea2017/
2017 SGEA/SGSA/SOSR Preliminary Program
Call For Nominations: Steering Committee Positions
The Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA) of the AAMC has issued a call for nominations for Steering Committee Members. Nominations are due February 10, 2017.
We are accepting nominations for the following positions, service starting in April, 2017.
• SGEA Chair-Elect, six year term (two years as chair-elect, two years as chair, two years as past chair). Chair-elect serves as Treasurer of SGEA.
• SGEA GME Representative, two year term - represent the AAMC GME Section on the SGEA Steering Committee - two year commitment
• SGEA MESRE-elect Representative - assist the MESRE Chair with responsibilities including SGEA Grant reviews and management, the SGEA Medical Education Scholarship Awards (MESA) program providing
peer-reviews at the SGEA Regional Meeting, grantsmanship mentoring, and other scholarship-related activities. This is a four-year commitment, two as MESRE Chair-elect, two as MESRE Chair.
• Member at Large - work with the support of the SGEA Steering Committee to develop a project to benefit our region - two year commitment
All Steering Committee members are expected to attend SGEA Spring Regional meetings and participate in a monthly conference call with the SGEA Steering Committee. Section representatives are also expected to participate in AAMC GEA Section calls (approximately one per month).
Nominations may come from peers or you may self-nominate. Please send a current CV and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations will be reviewed by a nominating committee and a slate will be selected for presentation at the April, 2017, SGEA regional meeting.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact email@example.com
Call for Nominations: Career Educator Award
This is the highest honor given by the SGEA. Nominations are due February 10, 2017.
Criteria for the career educator award include:
• Active SGEA participant in the organization and annual regional meeting for at least six of the past ten consecutive years;
• Evidence of a sustained and compelling record of educational scholarship for at least the past five years
• Evidence of ongoing educational leadership and significant involvement in enhancing educational programs at his/her academic institution
• Evidence of collaboration with others at his/her academic institution and beyond to enhance teaching effectiveness, the quality of educational programs, professional development of self and others and/or the advancement of educational scholarship and
• Evidence of strong professionalism values
Nomination: Please send a letter of support and nominee's contact information. Nominees will be contacted and asked to submit a current curriculum vitae and personal responses to the award criteria.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 SGEA Innovations in Medical Education Award:
"The Clinical Anatomy and Imaging Laboratory: Vertical Integration in the Pre-Clerkship Curriculum"
University of Virginia School of Medicine:
Deborah Barry, PhD; John Dent, MD; David Moyer, DC; Neeral Shah, MD; Victor Soukoulis, MEd.; Anne Tuskey, MD
2016 SGEA Career Educator Award:
Carol Elam, EdD
Associate Dean for Admissions and Institutional Advancement
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
2015 SGEA Career Educator Award:
Bonnie Miller, MD
Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs
Senior Associate Dean for Health Sciences Education
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Join the SGEA listserve to stay current with SGEA updates, activities, and opportunities. If you would like to join, please email Sarah Brown at Sarbrown@aamc.org