Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA)
The SGEA fosters excellence along the continuum of medical education—undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education—by providing a forum for discussing the concerns of the medical education profession, serving as a resource, and acting in an advisory capacity to the GEA and AAMC. This mission is accomplished through communication, cooperation and shared respect among its members.
To accomplish its mission, the SGEA will:
- Enhance the professional development of medical educators
- Advance research and understanding in medical education
- Provide service to the profession, and
- Practice evidence-based principles of medical education.
Save the Dates: 2016 AAMC National Conference Learn Serve Lead
2016 AAMC National Conference: Learn Serve Lead
Dates: November 11 - 15, 2016
Location: Seattle Washington
For more information please visit the conference website .
2017 SGEA Regional Conference
Dates: April 19-22, 2017
Location Charlottesville, Virginia
2017 SGEA/SGSA/SOSR Call for Proposals
The SGEA is inviting abstracts for the 2017 joint regional conference with the SGSA and SOSR. Detailed information, including submission and review criteria, can be found via the link below:
Submissions are due November 1, 2016 at 11:59 pm ET
2016 SGEA Innovations in Medical Education Award:
"The Clinical Anatomy and Imaging Laboratory: Vertical Integration in the Pre-Clerkship Curriculum"
University of Virginia School of Medicine:
Deborah Barry, Ph.D.; John Dent, M.D; David Moyer, D.C.; Neeral Shah, M.D.; Victor Soukoulis, M.ED.; Anne Tuskey, M.D.
2016 SGEA Career Educator Award:
Bonnie Miller, M.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs
Senior Associate Dean for Health Sciences Education
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
The Career Educator Award is SGEA’s highest recognition and most prestigious award. Criteria for the career educator award include:
- Active SGEA participant in the organization and annual regional meeting for at least six of the past ten consecutive years;
- Evidence of a sustained and compelling record of educational scholarship for at least the past five years;
- Evidence of ongoing educational leadership and significant involvement in enhancing educational programs at his/her academic institution;
- Evidence of collaboration with others at his/her academic institution and beyond to enhance teaching effectiveness, the quality of educational programs, Professional development of self and others and/or the advancement of educational scholarship; and
- Evidence of strong professionalism values.
For a list of past awardees see: Career Educator Awardees
Join the SGEA listserve to stay current with SGEA updates, activities, and opportunities. If you would like to join, please email Sarah Brown at Sarbrown@aamc.org