Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA)
The SGEA fosters excellence along the continuum of medical education—undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education—by providing a forum for discussing the concerns of the medical education profession, serving as a resource, and acting in an advisory capacity to the GEA and AAMC. This mission is accomplished through communication, cooperation and shared respect among its members.
To accomplish its mission, the SGEA will:
- Enhance the professional development of medical educators
- Advance research and understanding in medical education
- Provide service to the profession, and
- Practice evidence-based principles of medical education.
LEAD Certificate Program
The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) certificate program will be implemented as a one-year program in the SGEA (instead of the original two-year) program. The Call for Fellow Applications and application packet are available via the web link below. Applications are due January 4, 2016. Any questions should be directed to either of the LEAD National Program Directors: Dr. Sheila Chauvin (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Britta Thompson (email@example.com)
Call for fellows application packet
Save the Date: 2016 SGEA Regional Conference
Dates: April 13 - 16
Venue: Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Location: Austin, Texas
Hosted: Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine
The SGEA Welcomes New Steering Committee Members
Several positions on the SGEA Steering Committee were filled by election at the April 25, 2015 business meeting during the SGEA Regional Conference in Charlotte, NC.
Karen "Sam" Hughes Miller, PhD
Associate Professor, Director GME Research and Non-Clinical Curriculum
University of Louisville School of Medicine
GME Section Chair
Rebecca Swan, MD, FAAP
Assistant Dean of Graduate Medical Education
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
MESRE Section Chair
Nicole Borges, PhD
Assistant Dean, Medical Education Research and Scholarship
University of Mississippi School of Medicine
Member at Large
John C. Luk, MD
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School
University of Texas Medical Branch
2016 SGEA Career Educator Award Announced:
Bonnie Miller, MD
Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs
Senior Associate Dean for Health Sciences Education
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
The Career Educator Award is SGEA’s highest recognition and most prestigious award. Criteria for the career educator award include:
- Active SGEA participant in the organization and annual regional meeting for at least six of the past ten consecutive years;
- Evidence of a sustained and compelling record of educational scholarship for at least the past five years;
- Evidence of ongoing educational leadership and significant involvement in enhancing educational programs at his/her academic institution;
- Evidence of collaboration with others at his/her academic institution and beyond to enhance teaching effectiveness, the quality of educational programs, Professional development of self and others and/or the advancement of educational scholarship; and
- Evidence of strong professionalism values.
For a list of past awardees see: Career Educator Awardee
Register now for Learn Serve Lead the AAMC Annual Meeting (Nov. 6-10) followed by the 2015 National Medical Education Meeting (Nov. 10-12) at the Baltimore Convention Center.
Special thanks to the planning committee for the 2015 SGEA REgional Conference in Charlotte, NC, April 2015. Very well done!
Join the SGEA listserv to stay current with SGEA updates, activities, and opportunities. If you would like to join, email Stephen McKenzie at firstname.lastname@example.org
SGEA Member Resources
About the SGEA
Sonia J. Crandall, Ph.D., M.S.
Wake Forest University School of Medicine