Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA)
The SGEA fosters excellence along the continuum of medical education—undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education—by providing a forum for discussing the concerns of the medical education profession, serving as a resource, and acting in an advisory capacity to the GEA and AAMC. This mission is accomplished through communication, cooperation and shared respect among its members.
To accomplish its mission, the SGEA will:
- Enhance the professional development of medical educators
- Advance research and understanding in medical education
- Provide service to the profession, and
- Practice evidence-based principles of medical education.
2015 SGEA Call for Nominations: Career Educator Award and Steering Committee
SGEA Career Educator Award - Nominations are due February 1, 2015
The Career Educator Award is SGEA’s highest recognition and most prestigious award. Criteria for the career educator award include:
- Active SGEA participant in the organization and annual regional meeting for at least six of the past ten consecutive years;
- Evidence of a sustained and compelling record of educational scholarship for at least the past five years;
- Evidence of ongoing educational leadership and significant involvement in enhancing educational programs at his/her academic institution;
- Evidence of collaboration with others at his/her academic institution and beyond to enhance teaching effectiveness, the quality of educational programs, Professional development of self and others and/or the advancement of educational scholarship; and
- Evidence of strong professionalism values.
Process: Please submit a nomination including a letter of support and nominee’s contact information to Dr. Gary Rosenfeld at Gary.C.Rosenfeld@uth.tmc.edu
Nominees will be contacted and asked to submit a current curriculum vitae and personal responses to the award criteria.
For a list of past awardees see: Career Educator Awardees
SGEA Steering Committee Position Openings - Nominations are due February 1, 2015
The SGEA Steering Committee welcomes nominations (including self-nominations) for the following positions:
- Graduate Medical Education (GME) Representative: Term, April 2015 – Spring 2017
- Medical Education Scholarship, Research, and Evaluation (MESRE) Representative: Term, April 2015 – Spring 2017
- Member-at-Large: Term, April 2015 – Spring 2017
- SGEA Chair Elect: Six year term; two-year term as Chair Elect, two-year term as Chair, two-year term as Immediate Past Chair
Process: Please submit nominations with a current CV, to Dr. Gary Rosenfeld at Gary.C.Rosenfeld@uth.tmc.edu. Nominations are reviewed by the Nominating Committee and a slate is proposed for approval by the Steering Committee.
The approved slate of new officers is presented to the SGEA membership at the Spring Regional Meeting.
2015 SGEA Regional Conference - Call for Proposals (Closed)
April 24-26, 2015
Carolinas Healthcare System
University of South Carolina SOM - Greenville Health System
Duke University SOM - Duke Graduate Medical Education
The SGEA is proposals for submissions closed on Wednesday, December 17, 2014.
2015 SGEA Conflict of Interest Form- Email completed forms to: email@example.com
The Conference Planning Committee is headed by Lisa Howley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the SGEA listserv to stay current with SGEA updates, activities, and opportunities. If you would like to join, email Stephen McKenzie at email@example.com
SGEA Member Resources
About the SGEA
Kathy Kreutzer, M.Ed.
Assistant Dean for Faculty Development
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine