The Compact Between Postdoctoral Appointees and Their Mentors is intended to initiate discussions at the local and national levels about the postdoctoral appointee-mentor relationship and the commitments necessary for a high quality postdoctoral training experience. The Compact was drafted by the AAMC Group on Graduate Research, Education, and Training (GREAT) and its Postdoctorate Committee, and it is modeled on the AAMC Compact Between Resident Physicians and Their Teachers.
Input on the document was received from the GREAT Group Representatives, members of the AAMC governance, and other members of the postdoctoral community, including the National Postdoctoral Association. We encourage members of the postdoctoral community to utilize and share this document.
Download the Compact(PDF)
The compact is intended to provide postdoctoral program directors, administrators, faculty, postdoctoral appointees, and other institutional leaders with a model document that might be used as is, or as modified in accordance with local circumstances. Among the potential uses that have been suggested are the following:
- As a starting point for discussions among postdoctoral program directors, administrators, faculty, postdoctoral appointees, and other institutional leaders about the issues addressed by the compact
- As a recruitment tool to signify programmatic commitment to postdoctoral appointees
- As an attachment to offer letters from mentors to postdoctoral appointees
- As part of a contract that could be signed by the postdoctoral appointees and their mentors as a pledge to uphold its commitments
- As part of the orientation for new postdoctoral appointees
- As part of the orientation for new faculty
- As a component of the appointee-mentor annual evaluation process
- As a topic to be discussed in faculty mentorship programs
- As a component of faculty evaluations
- As part of an educational database for faculty promotion