The application process is now closed. Please check back in early 2025 for information about the 2025-2026 application cycle. General information about the program is available below.
The COD Fellowship Program was created to enhance the development of future leaders in academic medicine. It is designed for senior faculty members, including department chairs and assistant and associate deans, who are interested in being considered for deanships in the near future (i.e., the next two to four years). The program seeks applicants from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to individual demographics, academic discipline, institutional position, institution type, and geographic location. (Note: The program is not intended for candidates currently under active consideration for appointment to a deanship.)
Review the complete 2024-2025 application and program guidelines (PDF) before applying.
The 2024-2025 COD Fellowship Program requires a part-time commitment of Fellows during the academic year and encompasses four components:
- Dean mentoring, including at least two visits to the medical schools of two dean mentors (each up to one week long).
- Participation in meetings of the COD and COD Administrative Board to learn about the strategic goals and activities of the council.
- Participation in the Executive Development Seminar for Deans.
- Completion of a leadership project (PDF) of importance to the Fellow's professional development.
The cost of participation in the COD Fellowship Program is the responsibility of the fellow’s home institution.
Please address applications to:
Dr. Lawrence Chin
Chair, COD Fellowship Committee
Dean, Norton College of Medicine
State University of New York Upstate Medical University Alan and Marlene Norton College of Medicine
An application for the COD Fellowship Program contains the following three items:
A cover letter addressing:
Reasons for the applicant's interest in the program, including a statement of career goals
- Response to the following prompt – "How will your experience and/or background contribute to the diversity (in its broadest sense) of perspective you would bring to the COD Fellowship Program if selected?"
A curriculum vitae
A letter of support from the applicant’s dean*
*If we receive more than one application from a single school, the dean will be asked to nominate a single candidate.
Please download the complete application and program guidelines above. For additional information or to submit an application, please email email@example.com.