Letter of Recommendation Portal (LoRP)
The ERAS Letter of Recommendation Portal ( LoRP ) is a tool designed to provide added flexibility for LoR Authors and reduce the scanning and uploading burden for medical schools.
New LoR Process for ERAS 2016
Effective ERAS 2016, all letters of recommendation must be uploaded by you or your designee using the LoRP. Medical schools will no longer be able to upload letters on your behalf.
We realize this is a change in how things have historically been done, so here is a summary of the changes for the upcoming season:
- Letters can only be uploaded once the ERAS 2016 season opens in May.
- At that time, applicants will provide you with a Letter Request Form that includes instructions for the LoRP as well as a unique identifier for each LoR you are asked to upload.
- If you do not already have an account, you will be asked to create an AAMC account in order to gain access to the LoRP.
- Account creation is simple and only requires your name and email address.
- Please do not send letters to the AAMC/ERAS; they will be returned.
To access the LoRP, you will need an AAMC account. If you already have one, you may use your existing user name and password to access the Letter of Recommendation Portal. Please visit sign in to LoRP to your account or create a new account.
Note: Only Firefox and IE browsers are supported for the LoRP.
Click Sign in to LoRP | Register for an AAMC Account.
2. Input your Personal Information and then click Next.
3. Create your account by completing all of the fields and clicking the checkbox to confirm that you’ve reviewed and agree to the AAMC’s Privacy Statement and the AAMC Web site Terms and Conditions. Then, click Register.
You will receive a confirmation email, in order to verify your account. You must click the link provided in the email, to complete your AAMC Account Registration.
Using the user name and password you created, sign in to the Letter of Recommendation Portal.
Note: If you are a designee uploading LoRs on behalf of multiple authors, you do not need to create multiple accounts. The LoRP enables you to organize the LoRs you upload by the author.
Uploading Your LoR
1. Applicants access MyERAS to enter and finalize LoR Authors.
2. Applicants print out the Letter Request Form for all LoR Authors and deliver it by email, mail, or in person.
Note: If an applicant waived his/her rights, they should not handle the completed letter.
3. LoR Authors complete their LoR; save it in PDF format; and access the LoRP to upload their letter.
4. LoR Authors and administrators register on the LoRP and create their username and password.
5. LoR Authors log in; enter the applicant's Letter ID; verify the applicant and LoR Author details; and follow the prompts to upload their letter in PDF format (PDFs with encryption, password protection, or digital signatures cannot be processed).
6. The LoR is transmitted to the ERAS PostOffice.
LoR Authors may view uploaded LoRs and/or upload new versions at any time (if needed). Once a LoR has been uploaded, it cannot be deleted or altered in any way. To make changes, you must submit a new version of the LoR. Programs will only be able to view the most recent LoR version.
Note: Using a central account, administrative users may repeat this process for each LoR/Letter ID combination that is provided to them.
What is a Letter Request Form?
The Letter Request Form is a document that includes instructions on how to access the ERAS LoRP, applicant information, the Letter ID and if the applicant has waived their right to see the LoR. You should receive a form for each letter you are asked to write.
Will the LoRP convert my file to a PDF format or should it already be in a PDF format before I upload it?
In order to upload a LoR, it must already be in a PDF format. The LoRP does not have the capability to convert your file into a PDF format.
PDFs with encryption, password protection, or digital signatures cannot be uploaded. Any LoRs that do not meet these guidelines must be revised and resubmitted.
For more information on the PDF file format, please see www.adobe.com.
How can I view an existing LoR for an applicant listed in my LoR Manager?
Click the Adobe icon located under the View LoR column of the LoR Manager.
I mistakenly uploaded the wrong letter for an applicant. What should I do?
Once a LoR has been uploaded for an applicant, it cannot be modified or removed. To make a correction, you must upload a revised version of the LoR using the instructions under Uploading a New Version of an Existing LoR or Uploading a LoR after Choosing to Upload Later. Programs will only be able to view the most recent version of the LoR, but LoR Authors will be able to view all versions.
What if my file exceeds the 500KB size limit?
If you are struggling to meet the 500KB file size limit, please try using a black and white document, minimizing or removing graphics, and/or adjusting your Adobe (PDF creator) settings.