Letter of Recommendation Portal (LoRP)
The ERAS Letter of Recommendation Portal ( LoRP) is a tool designed to provide added flexibility for LoR Authors and reduce the scanning and uploading burden for medical schools.
Authors Writing for:
USMG Residency Applicants - LoRs can still be sent directly to medical schools to be uploaded into ERAS. Medical schools and programs will see the LoR in their software regardless of how the LoR is uploaded.
IMG and Fellowship Applicants - ECFMG and EFDO no longer accept paper LoRs in support of MyERAS applications. Paper LoRs submitted via mail or courier service will NOT be scanned or attached to the MyERAS application. All supporting LoRs must be submitted electronically using the LoRP.
New for ERAS 2015
Watermarks on LoRs uploaded from the LoRP will also include the name of the person uploading the letter in addition to the source of upload and the date. We will display the First and Last Name that was entered when the user registered for their LoRP account.
Before using the LoRP, you must register for an AAMC Account. If you already have an AAMC account, you may use your current user name and password to access the LoRP.
Note: Only Firefox and IE browsers are supported for the LoRP.
Click Sign in to LoRP | Register for an AAMC Account.
Read the AAMC's Privacy Statement, then click Register for a AAMC Account.
Complete all required fields and click Next.
Complete all required fields, click the checkbox, and click Register.
Note: User Names and Passwords must be between 7 and 20 characters and cannot have spaces.
You will receive a confirmation email. Click the confirmation link in your email to complete your AAMC Account registration.
Uploading Your LoR
1. Applicants access MyERAS to enter and finalize LoR Authors.
2. Applicants print out the Letter Request Form for all LoR Authors and deliver it by email, mail, or in person.
Note: If an applicant waived his/her rights, they should not handle the completed letter.
3. LoR Authors complete their LoR; save it in PDF format; and access the LoRP to upload their letter.
4. LoR Authors and administrators register on the LoRP and create their username and password.
5. LoR Authors log in; enter the applicant's Letter ID; verify the applicant and LoR Author details; and follow the prompts to upload their letter in PDF format (PDFs with encryption, password protection, or digital signatures cannot be processed).
6. The LoR is transmitted to the ERAS PostOffice.
LoR Authors may view uploaded LoRs and/or upload new versions at any time (if needed). Once a LoR has been uploaded, it cannot be deleted or altered in any way. To make changes, you must submit a new version of the LoR. Programs will only be able to view the most recent LoR version.
Note: Using a central account, administrative users may repeat this process for each LoR/Letter ID combination that is provided to them.
How do I register?
1. Go to the LoRP.
2. Select Register for an AAMC Account.
3. Read the AAMC’s Privacy Statement, then click Register for an AAMC Account.
4. Complete the required personal information fields and click Next.
5. Complete the required account information fields and click Register.
6. A confirmation will be sent to your registered email address. Follow the instructions in your email to complete the registration process.
Note: For registration help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a Letter Request Form?
The Letter Request Form is a PDF that includes instructions on how to access the ERAS LoRP and information such as the applicant’s name, AAMC ID, and Letter ID. You will need the Letter ID on this form in order to upload a LoR. Additionally, this form will include information about whether or not an applicant has waived their right to view their LoR.
Do I have to convert my LoR to a PDF format before uploading or will the LoRP convert the document to a PDF file for me?
In order for a LoR to be uploaded via the LoRP, it must be placed in PDF format. The LoRP will not convert your file into a PDF.
Also, PDFs with encryption, password protection, or digital signatures cannot be processed. Any letters that do not meet these guidelines must be revised and resubmitted.
For more information on the PDF file format, please see www.adobe.com.
How can I view an existing LoR for an applicant listed in my LoR Manager?
Click the Adobe icon located under the Action column of the LoR Manager.
I mistakenly uploaded the wrong letter for an applicant. What should I do?
Once a letter has been uploaded for an applicant, it cannot be removed. You will have to upload the correct version of the letter using the instructions under Uploading a New Version of an Existing LoR or Uploading a LoR after Choosing to Upload Later. LoR Authors and Designated Dean’s Offices will be able to view all LoR versions. Programs will only be able to view the most recent LoR version.
I cannot meet the 500KB file size limit for my LoR, what should I do?
If you are struggling to meet the 500KB file size limit, please try using a black and white document, minimizing or removing graphics, and/or adjusting your Adobe (PDF creator) settings.