Updates From ERAS Leadership
Following yesterday’s ERAS® system opening for residency programs, we are pleased to report that all systems are running smoothly. Program Director’s WorkStation (PDWS) users are now accessing and reviewing applications in preparation for interview season.
The AAMC recognizes that the start of a new interview season is an exciting and challenging time. Through this and every ERAS season, we are continuing to seek opportunities to improve the transition from undergraduate medical education to graduate medical education for all members of the academic medicine community.
We are doing this by:
- Sharing data to improve transparency between programs and applicants.
- Streamlining coordination between programs and applicants.
- Conducting research that supports continuing improvements with a focus on holistic review.
- Convening the community to address the greatest challenges.
We are committed to meeting the needs of all learners, medical schools, programs, and specialties while keeping our focus on the future.
Do you have feedback that will help us serve you better? Send your thoughts to the ERAS Team.
Admissions and Selection Application Services
ERAS Strategic Priorities
Selection Tools: New ERAS Program Management Tool Bringing Simpler Access to PDWS
ERAS institutional leaders and program managers will have the ability to update program information, manage access, and register for new ERAS seasons directly from the Program Director’s WorkStation (PDWS) dashboard with the launch of ERAS Program Management, a new tool that replaces the former ERAS Account Maintenance system (EAM).
Beginning Monday, Nov. 6, when program managers log in to the PDWS, they will find a new tab on the dashboard that gives them access to their program’s information, users, roles, and access.
A toggle bar will be available for those who work with more than one program, enabling you to easily move between programs. We hope you find this new and improved feature useful in your work.
Want to learn more? The ERAS Resource Library has several useful job aids that provide additional information.
5 Tips for PDWS Users
Are you developing holistic review strategies? The AAMC has five helpful suggestions that can help you prepare to review applications:
- Update your preexisting filters before beginning your applicant review. Filters for COMLEX-USA Level 1 and USMLE Step 1 exam transcripts have been updated for the 2024 ERAS season and programs will only be able to filter on the most recent pass/fail outcomes.
- Review your previous season’s filters to ensure that they are current and fit your program’s goals and needs.
- Consider opting in to Thalamus to use the Core platform to schedule interviews and access the Cerebellum analytics dashboard. Both systems are free to ERAS users. If you use Thalamus Core, we recommend using CSV exports to import data into the Thalamus scheduling tool.
- Limit bulk print requests to 50 applications at one time. This can reduce processing time and enable the system to more quickly complete your requests.
- Use the newly revised Notes tool in the PDWS to communicate with your team members throughout the review process.
Research and Analysis Focused on Improving ERAS Systems
The AAMC is continuing its research efforts to further update and improve ERAS application systems.
During the next phase of this work – which includes reviewing additional application questions, personal statements, and letters – our objectives remain consistent: enhance the residency application for holistic review and support programs in identifying well-suited applicants.
We are still welcoming residency and fellowship programs to join our focus groups and provide feedback. To participate in Fall 2023, please complete our brief background survey (it should take approximately five minutes to complete).
ERAS Program Tools and Resources for Holistic Review
As a reminder, programs now have additional information to use in developing holistic applicant review strategies. The following resources are intended to help programs implement a holistic review process:
Tips and Tricks for Integrating Holistic Review Into Your Selection Process – An AAMC-OPDA webinar recorded on Sept. 12.
Navigating the PDWS to Drive Holistic Review – An ERAS webinar recorded on Sept. 14.
ERAS webinars for programs – A collection of recorded webinars and videos developed to provide helpful guidance for PDWS users.
ERAS Program Resources
PDWS Q&A Webinar
Oct. 5 at 1 p.m. ET
Resident Unionization: Coming to a Hosptial Near you? AAMC-OPDA Webinar
Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. ET
Join the ERAS Team
NRMP Transition to Residency Conference
Oct. 5-7, Boston
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine Fall Meeting
Oct. 12-14, Baltimore
Learn Serve Lead 2023: The AAMC Annual Meeting
Nov. 3-7, Seattle
ERAS-focused breakout sessions:
- Reflections on the New ERAS Content: Data, Discussions, and Holistic Review, Nov. 4, 10:30 a.m. PT, Summitt 331-332.
- Our Continuing Focus on the Future, Nov. 5 at 4:30 p.m. PT, SCC Summitt 423-425.