Individual Award - Eligibility
Individual nominees for the annual Carole J. Bland Phronesis Award should be individuals working in the area of faculty affairs or faculty development and (usually) members (or retired members) of the GFA. Members of the seated GFA Steering Committee, GFA Committees, or GFA ad hoc bodies are not eligible to be nominated until at least one year after their active service has concluded.
Nominees for the annual Carole J. Bland Phronesis Award should be individuals with at least five years of history contributing to the field of faculty affairs or faculty development in academic medicine. The GFA Steering Committee will look for evidence of a nominee's excellence as:
- an innovator,
- a nurturer/mentor,
- a leader, and
- an educator/academician with regional and/or national impact in the areas of faculty affairs and faculty development.
Online submissions will be reviewed and discussed by the GFA Steering Committee. Upon the GFA Steering Committee selecting a recipient, the Chair will notify the recipient. The award is presented at the annual GFA Professional Development Conference.
Nominations may be made by any member of the GFA, any medical school Dean or Council of Teaching Hospitals executive, or any member of the AAMC leadership (including the chairs or steering committee members of other AAMC Groups or Councils).
The complete nomination package must include the following items:
- Letter of nomination giving the rationale and justification for the nomination. Address each of the areas (innovator, nurturer/mentor, leader, and educator/academician) in a brief narrative (three double spaced pages maximum)
- Nominee’s narrative bio sketch (500 words maximum)
- Current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- Color headshot
- Complete online nomination form by the nominator
The GFA Steering Committee will not review additional materials. Incomplete or late nominations will not be accepted. An acknowledgement receipt for the nomination will be sent to the submitter.
- April 30, 2021: Call for nominations announced
- May 24, 2021: Award nominations deadline
- June 2021: Award recipient selected and notified
- July 2021: GFA Carole J. Bland Phronesis Award recipient announced and award presented at virtual GFA Town Hall
The award presentation will be made at the Group on Faculty Affairs virtual Town Hall. The award recipient will be invited to present remarks.
Archana Chatterjee, MD, PhD
Dean, Chicago Medical School
Vice President for Medical Affairs, Rosalind Franklin University
Ann J. Brown, MD, MHS
Vice Dean for Faculty
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Duke University School of Medicine
Karen D. Novielli, MD
Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, Thomas Jefferson University
Vice Dean for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Henry W. Strobel, PhD
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Luanne Thorndyke, MD, FACP
Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Professor of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Jeannette M. Shorey II, MD
Associate Dean for CME and Faculty Affairs
UAMS College of Medicine
Valerie Williams, PhD
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Faculty Development
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Laura F. Schweitzer, PhD
Union Graduate College
Stephen P. Bogdewic, Ph.D.
Dr. George W. Copeland Professor of Family Medicine
Executive Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development
Indiana University School of Medicine
Thomas R. Viggiano, MD
Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs
Mayo Medical School