Save Student Aid! is a campaign led by the Student Aid Alliance, a coalition of higher education organizations united in support of federal student aid programs.
Visit the Student Aid Alliance
Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools (FIRST)
FIRST helps medical school borrowers expand their financial literacy, make smart decisions about student loans, and manage their student debt wisely.
National Health Service Corps (NHSC)
Looking for help with your student loans? Visit AAMC’s FIRST for Medical Education.
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) provides scholarships and loan repayment awards to physicians and other health practitioners in exchange for primary care service in a federally designated Health Professions Shortage Area (HPSA). The NHSC also matches state funding for participating NHSC State Loan Repayment Programs. Read about the AAMC's proposed changes to the NHSC in the zero-cost Medical Education Debt bill.
The AAMC coordinates a coalition of more than 50 national organizations in support of funding for the NHSC. The NHSC Stakeholders represent the multiple health professionals, Institutions, and underserved areas/patients that benefit from the NHSC's history of public service. The NHSC:
- Improves access to health care for the growing numbers of rural and urban underserved Americans;
- Provides incentives for practitioners to enter primary care;
- Increases state investments in recruiting and retaining health professionals;
- Reduces the financial burden that the cost of health professions education places on new practitioners; and
- Helps ensure access to health professions education for students from all backgrounds.
Matthew Shick, J.D.
Director, Gov't Relations & Regulatory Counsel
Telephone: 202- 828-0526