Video Length: 93 minutes
Presentation Materials: Slide Deck
As of 2010, over 115,000 same-sex couple households have children, and that number is growing. Providing high-quality health care for LGBT couples seeking to adopt or conceive is essential in creating an environment that is tolerant of the unique needs of these populations. Participants in this webinar will gain a broad understanding of the physician’s role in various contemporary family building options.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Identify at least one cultural/societal change that has led to expanded family building options for the LGBT community.
- List special considerations regarding family building for the LGBT community.
- Summarize the role of the physician in various contemporary family building options.
- Examine the ways parenting impacts health outcomes for LGBT people.
- Describe "pearls of wisdom" from the lived experience of LGBT parents.
Greg S. Blaschke, MD, MPH, FAAP
Division Head, General Pediatrics, Doernbecher Children's Hospital
Professor of Pediatrics, Oregon Health & Science University
President, Oregon Pediatric Society, State Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics
Capitain (Retired), Medical Corps, US Navy
Andy Miller, MHSE, MCHES
President & CEO of Any Baby Can of Austin, Inc.
Co-Founder & Board President of The Handsome Father
Co-Founder of MillerStephens & Associates
Terrance Hines, MD, FAAFP
Medical Director, Department of Family Medicine, Baylor Scott & White Health Clinics
Clinical Assistant Professor, Texas A&M College of Medicine
Texas Academy of Family Physicians Board of Directors
Dorothy A. Sippo, MD, MPH
Department of Radiology Massachusetts General Hospital
Instructor, Harvard Medical School
Colleen McNicholas, DO, MSCI
Assistant Professor OB/GYN, Washington University School of Medicine
Director, Ryan Residency Training Program
Assistant Director, Fellowship in Family Planning
Member, Committee on Healthcare for Underserved Women, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Advisor, CA Technologies
Member, Board of Directors, Human Rights Campaign
Member, Business Council, Human Rights Campaign
Member, Board of Directors, Athlete Ally
Kenan R. Omurtag, MD
Assistant Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Eckstrand, K. L., & Ehrenfeld, J. M. (2016).
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender healthcare: a clinical guide to preventive, primary, and specialist care. Cham: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-19752-4
Retrieved from: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-19752-4
- IMPak - GLMA Provider Directory - https://glmaimpak.networkats.com/members_online_new/members/dir_provider.asp
- USHHS, ACF, OHS, & NCPFCE. (2017, January 15). Healthy Gender Development and Young Children A Guide for Early Childhood Programs and Professionals. Retrieved from https://depts.washington.edu/dbpeds/healthy-gender-development.pdf
- USHHS, ACF, OHS, & NCPFCE. (2016, November 14). Creating a Welcoming Early Childhood Program for LGBT-Headed Families: Resources about Diverse Family Structures. Retrieved from https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/family/docs/lgbt-resources.pdf
- USHHS, ACF, OHS, & NCPFCE. (2016, July 7). Creating a Welcoming Early Childhood Program for LGBT-Headed Families: Children's Books that Include Diverse Family Structures. Retrieved from https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/family/docs/lgbt-children-books.pdf
- USHHS, ACF, OHS, & NCPFCE. (2016, July 7). Creating a Welcoming Early Childhood Program for LGBT-Headed Families: A Checklist for Programs. Retrieved from: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/family/docs/lgbt-checklist-for-programs.pdf
Association of American Medical Colleges and American Medical Association. "The Contemporary Context of LGBT Family Building: What Providers Need to Know" (January, 2017). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: