Join the VSLO® Program
Hospitals and Health Systems
As a Visiting Student Learning Opportunities™ (VSLO®) participating institution, you will join a network of more than 300 medical schools and teaching hospitals, located in the United States and internationally, that collaborate to offer short-term learning opportunities to visiting medical students.
When your institution becomes a VSLO Host institution, you can determine the number of, duration of, frequency of, and fee for clinical, research, or public health elective offerings. You will also be able to receive students from VSLO Home institutions throughout the U.S. and Global Networks (institutions located outside the U.S. may only participate in the Global Network).
Benefits of Joining the VSLO Program:
- Reduces administrative burden by providing institutions with streamlined management and application processing.
- Offers a dynamic online platform and expanded search options for students to find their elective opportunities.
- Provides training and ongoing support for the system’s institutional and student users.
- Manages mobility among existing partner institutions that are already in the VSLO network.
- Increases offerings of vetted U.S. and international elective opportunities for students.
- Engages program directors, faculty, and leadership to support student’s medical education.
- Replaces numerous partnership agreements with a single VSLO participation agreement.
- Facilitates institutional collaboration within a global network.
- Provides access to the decisions and perspectives of the AAMC and partner organizations regarding elective rotations.
- Expands input on best practices in the visiting student experience and the transition to residency.
What is a Host Institution?
Host institutions publish and manage elective offerings, select students, and — upon completion of the elective — submit evaluations to students’ Home institutions. Becoming a host provides you with the opportunity to meet medical students as they explore residency programs, support the educational mission of your hospital or health system, and host multilingual students to deliver better patient care to multilingual patients.
A hospital must either be an AAMC-member institution or have at least one Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) -accredited program to qualify for VSLO access as a Host institution.
Host institutions that wish to offer observerships or electives to final-year medical students must be committed to supervising students and providing candid feedback on an evaluation form at the completion of the educational experience.
As a VSLO Host, your institution can host U.S. and international visiting students.
You can access the application system to:
- Determine the number of, duration of, frequency of, and fee for clinical, research, or public health elective offerings by academic year.
- Set selection criteria.
- Receive, track, and manage applications.
- Use the application service to replace numerous agreements with a single VSLO participation agreement.
How to Join the VSLO Program
If your institution is a current AAMC Council of Teaching Hospitals and Health Systems (COTH) member, VSLO program participation is included as part of your institution’s annual fee benefits. For any other institutions interested in participation in the VSLO program, annual fees are outlined below.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The following application steps must be completed:
- Complete and submit the interest form (PDF). (Email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- VSLO staff will contact you by email or phone to discuss next steps and address questions you may have.
- Once an institution is accepted into the VSLO program, a participation agreement will be sent to your institution’s designee. An invoice will also be sent, and once the agreement is signed by both parties and payment is received, your institution will be officially welcomed into the VSLO program and added to the AAMC VSLO website.
- VSLO staff conduct regular webinars of the VSLO application system. If you and/or your colleagues would like to participate in an upcoming webinar, please register here.
- If you have any questions, please contact the VSLO team.
Please review the institutional fees associated with various types of institutions to identify the annual fee for your institution:
|Institution Type||Annual Cost|
|AAMC-member Medical Schools||U.S. Network: $750; Global Network: $1,000|
|AAMC-member Hospitals and Health Systems||Included in COTH Membership|
|AAMC-nonmember Hospitals and Health Systems||$2,500|
|International Institutions (Institutions Located Outside the United States)
Can only participate in Global Network
High-income: $2,000; Middle-income: $800; Low-income: $200
Demonstrations and Informational Webinars
We offer regular live and recorded demonstrations of our application service for institutions interested in joining the VSLO program. Register for demonstrations and informational webinars that include time for Q&As. The VSLO program also offers a regularly updated series of videos and “Ask the Experts” sessions when any new enhancements to the application system occur. All the live sessions are recorded and made available for institutional users to access.
Additionally, the VSLO program provides detailed job aids and other resources to assist institutions’ administrators in completing tasks such as uploading rosters, creating elective catalogs, and more.
For more detailed information, check out frequently asked questions about the VSLO program and information on the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the VSLO program.