aamc.org does not support this web browser.
  • Professional Service

The VSLO® Program FAQs

As a Host institution, can we select the Home schools from which we will receive applications?

Yes. The VSLO application service provides options for Host institutions in both the U.S. and Global Networks to manage incoming applications.

What is the AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement?

The AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement is a simple, one-size-fits-all agreement designed to outline roles and responsibilities between a medical education program and its clinical affiliates and to eliminate time spent negotiating agreements.

Is there a standardized immunization form?

Yes. The AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (PDF) was developed by a working group to facilitate the recording and documentation of an applicant’s relevant vaccine history and TB status in a standardized format. It is updated annually and may be adopted for use by any institution that hosts visiting students, whether or not the institution receives applications through the VSLO programAdditional FAQs about the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form are available.

Who typically has access to the VSLO application service at an institution?

Home institutions, typically give access to student advisors, registrars, or individuals who oversee medical students for visiting student experiences.

Host institutions, typically give access to registrars, department coordinators, or individuals who review and process incoming applications for hosting visiting students.

Are we permitted to charge a fee for hosting visiting students?

The VSLO program does not prohibit your institution from charging a fee to visiting students. However, we encourage you to consider the overall student financial burden of completing away rotations when making such a decision. The information about your institutions fees are clearly displayed to applicants considering your rotation opportunities. 

Home institutions respond to a statement regarding students' good academic standing in the VSLO application service. Does this meet Joint Commission standards as may be required of a Host institution?

  • There are no Joint Commission standards that prescriptively require a “Letter of Good (Academic) Standing” or other document that includes a school insignia or official’s signature be provided to a Host institution by a visiting student or their Home institution.
  • Documentation requested by a Host institution beyond the information provided in the VSLO application would be determined solely between the Home and Host institutions and not driven by a need to be responsive to any Joint Commission standards or requirements. 
  • For further clarification, please contact the Standards Interpretation Group of the Joint Commission.