Resources and Data for Using MCAT Scores in Admissions
The resources on this page are designed to help you prepare and orient your committee members on how to use the new scores in your admissions process.
This comprehensive guide presents information about how to interpret and use MCAT scores in the context of holistic review. You can also download an accompanying PowerPoint presentation of the guide's content to help you prepare your admissions committee for the 2021 application cycle.
- Concepts and skills measured by the exam
- Characteristics of examinees and how they prepare for and perform on the exam
- How admissions committees work with scores in admissions
- How well MCAT scores and undergraduate GPAs predict students’ performance in medical school
Updated validity findings that show:
- A strong relationship exists between MCAT scores and students’ preclerkship, Step 1, and clerkship performance.
- Some students perform better than their MCAT scores predict, and others perform less well than their scores predict.
- Using MCAT total scores and undergraduate GPAs together provides a better prediction of medical student performance than using either one alone.
- Students with a wide range of MCAT scores and undergraduate GPAs pass the Step 1 exam on the first attempt and progress to Year 3 on time.
MCAT Scores Do More than Predict Step 1 Performance
This research summary presents findings related to the predictive validity of MCAT scores, including the latest results from our preliminary analysis on how well MCAT scores predict medical students’ performance on Step 2 CK.
MCAT Validity Report 2020 - NEW!
Read the latest findings on how well MCAT scores and other academic metrics predict students’ performance throughout medical school, from entry to graduation. The updated findings in this report show for the first time the validity of MCAT scores in predicting medical students’ Step 2 CK performance and graduation in four years.
The percentile ranks provided on your applicants’ MCAT score reports show the percentages of test takers who received the same scores or lower scores on the exam than they did. They show how the scores of your applicants compare to the scores of everyone who sat for the exam.
MCAT Exam Repeat Policies and Data
Learn more about the MCAT policies for retaking the exam, how many examinees retake the exam, the average score gains and losses by repeat test takers, and the strategies admissions officers use for examining retesters’ scores.
MCAT Score Report
The MCAT score reports provide you with more and better information to help you make decisions about applicants.