- Professional Service
AAMC PREview® Professional Readiness Exam Presentations
The AAMC PREview® professional readiness exam team delivers webinars and presents at annual meetings to keep the medical school community up to date on the administration and ongoing research and evaluation on the PREview exam. This page includes upcoming webinars and live presentations as well as recordings and slides from recent presentations.
Upcoming PREview Webinars and Live Presentations
Recent PREview Webinars
Review Results of the 2022 Administration and What’s Happening in the 2023 Administration
After rigorous, multi-year research and a successful two-year pilot administration, the AAMC launched the PREview exam in 2022 (2023 application cycle). During this webinar, the PREview team reviews highlights and results of the 2022 administration and shares what is next for the 2023 administration when the PREview exam opens to all AMCAS schools.
AAMC PREview Exam: 2023 Spring Update
- Date: March 23, 2023
- Speakers: Rebecca Fraser, PhD, AAMC
- Download the slide deck (PDF) or watch the recording from the 2023 Joint Services Update presented on Mar. 23.
Learn How Other Medical Schools Are Using PREview Scores in their Admissions Processes
Holistically Reviewing Medical School Applicants Using the PREview Exam
The PREview exam launched an operational pilot program with two medical schools in the 2021 admissions cycle and expanded to six medical schools in the 2022 admissions cycle. In this webinar, the presenters discussed the need for an assessment that captures pre-professional competencies in the admissions process, provided a brief overview of the PREview exam, and then shared their experiences using the PREview exam for holistic review of applicants.
- Date: April 8, 2022
- Speakers: Christina Grabowski, PhD, University of Alabama at Birmingham Marnix E. Heersink School of Medicine; Charlene Green, PsyD, University of California Davis School of Medicine; Michelle Schmude, EdD, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine; Rebecca Fraser, PhD, AAMC
- Download the slide deck (PDF) or watch the recording from the PREview™ session presented on April 8 at the 2022 Group on Student Affairs-Careers in Medicine-Organization of Student Representatives National Meeting.
Recent PREview Live Presentations
The MCAT® Exam, PREview® Exam, & AMCAS®: Program Updates & Resources Overview
- Date: November 5, 7 a.m. PT at the AAMC Learn Serve Lead Meeting
- Download the slide deck (PDF)
Learn how the PREview® exam, MCAT® exam, and AMCAS® application data work together to evaluate applicants’ core competencies and readiness for medical school.
Validating the PREview® Exam: Expanding the Criteria for Student Success
- Date: November 6, 2023, 1:15 p.m. PT at the AAMC Learn Serve Lead Meeting
- Speakers: Darin Chhing, Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, Washington State University; Christina Grabowski, PhD, University of Alabama at Birmingham Marnix. E. Heersink School of Medicine; Ioannis Koutroulis, MD, PhD, MBA, George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences; Boyd Richards, PhD, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Download the slide deck (PDF)
Determining the appropriate outcomes to evaluate student success for the pre-professional competencies measured on the AAMC PREview® professional readiness exam is a challenge. Existing outcomes such as course grades and faculty evaluations are mostly designed to assess academic performance, and collecting targeted performance ratings that are linked to non-academic pre professional competencies can be burdensome.
The goal of this session will be to present initial data from the PREview® exam local validity studies and to kickstart a conversation among medical educators, students and stakeholders around new outcome measures of pre-professional performance. Speakers from participating schools will share data and lessons learned around outcomes, including explorations of novel criteria such as delinquency records or professionalism flags, and a student speaker perspective will also be offered to underline the challenges of obtaining accurate meaningful outcomes. Finally, speakers will lead a session of small group discussions with the goal of brainstorming and generating workable outcomes to collect in the first, second, and clerkship years of medical school. Identifying these outcomes will help expand the definition of student success, benefiting schools and students alike.
The AAMC PREview Professional Readiness Exam
This presentation provided an overview of the PREview exam, highlights and results of the 2022 administration and key information for the 2023 administration.
- Event: AACOM 2023 Educating Leaders Conference
- Date: April 27, 2023
- Speakers: Rebecca Fraser, PhD, AAMC; Michelle Sparacino, AAMC
- Download the slide deck (PDF) from the PREview session presented on April 27 at the AACOM 2023 Educating Leaders Conference.
Advancing Holistic Review with the AAMC PREview Exam
Each session began with a brief overview of the 2022 PREview administration, followed by a panel discussion with two admissions leads from medical schools using AAMC PREview scores in their admissions process and a pre-health advisor. They addressed key questions of interest around their experience with the PREview exam in the application and admissions process. Speakers discussed successes, challenges, lessons learned, and future plans for the PREview exam.
2023 Northeast GSA/OSR/GEA Regional Meeting
- Date: April 23, 2023
- Speakers: Ioannis Koutroulis, MD, PhD, MBA, George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences; Seth Ramus, PhD, Bowdoin College; Michelle Schmude, EdD, MBA, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine; Thomas Geiger, MA, AAMC
2023 Western GSA/OSR Regional Meeting
- Date: April 16, 2023
- Speakers: Ivy Asano, MD, MAT/Ed, University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine; Charlene Green, PsyD, University of California, Davis School of Medicine; Kiana Shiroma, PhD, University of Hawaii at Mānoa; Thomas Geiger, MA, AAMC
2023 Central/Southern GSA/OSR Regional Meeting
- Date: March 30, 2023
- Speakers: Christina Grabowski, PhD, University of Alabama at Birmingham Marnix E. Heersink School of Medicine; Emily Hines, Saint Louis University School of Medicine; Tahnee Prokopow, MPH, University of Michigan-Dearborn; Rebecca Fraser, PhD, AAMC