SEASON 1, EPISODE 1
AAMC Chief Scientific Officer Ross McKinney Jr., MD, and Arthur Derse, MD, JD, director of the Medical College of Wisconsin Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities, join AAMC President and CEO David Skorton, MD, in this engaging podcast discussion exploring the emerging clinical guidelines that inform rationing of care and equipment and the inherent challenges of balancing bioethics with health equity.
- Arthur Derse, MD, JD, is the director of the Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities in the Institute for Health & Equity, Julia and David Uihlein Chair in Medical Humanities, and professor of Bioethics and Emergency Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Dr. Derse is member of the board of the American Society for Law, Medicine and Ethics (ASLME) and of the board of the Association of Bioethics Program Directors (ABPD). He is a member and past chair of the Ethics Committee of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). He serves on the Administrative Board of the Council for Faculty and Societies (CFAS) of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
- Ross McKinney Jr., MD, is the AAMC’s Chief Scientific Officer, an infectious disease specialist, and a member of the Duke University faculty for over 30 years. During his time at Duke, he was director of the Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, vice dean for research at Duke University School of Medicine, and director of the Trent Center for Bioethics, Humanities, and History of Medicine. Dr. McKinney leads the AAMC’s programs that support medical research and the training of physician-scientists in academic medicine.
Listen now and subscribe via:
Or wherever you normally listen to podcasts.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- “A nightmare approaches: Hospitals painfully prepare for life and death decisions” (AAMCNews, April 7, 2020)
- "The Toughest Triage — Allocating Ventilators in a Pandemic" (New England Journal of Medicine, March 23, 2020)
- "If Covid-19 gets bad, triage will be needed. Are we ready for that?" (STAT, March 10, 2020)
- Podcast: Season 1, Episode 2: Accelerating Transformation in Times of Crisis
- Podcast: Season 1, Episode 3: A Pivotal Moment for Science: A Conversation with Dr. Francis Collins
- Podcast: Season 1, Episode 4: Preserving Well-being in a Pandemic