Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
GWIMS Call for Steering Committee Nominations
The GWIMS Nominating Subcommittee is responsible for soliciting and reviewing nominations (and self-nominations) for preparation of the election slate for:
- Chair-elect (a one-year term, 2014-2015, which is the beginning of a three year sequence, serving as Chair in 2015-2016 and Immediate Past Chair in 2016-2017). Candidates for Chair-elect must be current or past members of the GWIMS Steering Committee.
- Up to three Members-at-large (three-year term, 2014-2017)
What are the roles and expectations for those positions?
The expectations for both positions include:
- Participate in monthly committee conference calls. Members are required to participate in at least 50% of the calls.
- Attend twice-yearly Steering Committee meetings in Washington, DC (cost covered by AAMC).
- Attend Learn•Serve•Lead: The AAMC Annual Meeting to participate in and promote sessions relevant to the GWIMS membership. The 2014 meeting will be on November 7-11 in Chicago.
- Begin term at the conclusion of GWIMSConnect at Learn•Serve•Lead: The AAMC 2014 Annual Meeting.
- Participate in work conducted via in-person meetings, email, and conference calls.
- Maintain visibility within and outside the GWIMS community through participation in various arenas (e.g. listserve, GWIMSWatch newsletter, etc.).
- Participate in AAMC Leadership Summit (if invited).
What documents are needed?
Three items are needed for a complete application.
- A letter of support for the nominated candidate or a letter of intent for self-nominations. This letter should be sent as a Word or PDF file named as LastnameFirstnameLetter.pdf (e.g. CurieMarieLetter.pdf)]
- A statement (250 words maximum) describing the rationale for your candidacy, and the knowledge and skills you will bring to the GWIMS Steering Committee. This letter should be sent as a Word or PDF file named as LastnameFirstnameStatement.doc (e.g. CurieMarieStatement.doc). Note: the statement will be part of the online ballot if you are selected for the slate of candidates
- A curriculum vitae (maximum five pages). Make sure to highlight experience with issues related to women in medicine and science and leadership experience with committee assignments. Your CV should be sent as a Word or PDF file named as LastnameFirstnameCV.pdf (e.g. CurieMarieCV.pdf)].
Where are nominations sent?
Nominations will be accepted only by email to email@example.com. Please send only a complete application.
What is the deadline for nominations?
April 30, 2014 at 11:59 pm EDT
What is the work of the Nominating Subcommittee?
The Subcommittee members are Rebecca Pauly (Chair), Carol Bates, Barbara Fivush, and Amelia Grover. After the deadline for nominations, the applications received will be reviewed and the slate of candidates determined. Before the voting period begins, each candidate will be contacted via email regarding whether her/his name will be appearing on the election slate.
Who can vote?
Voting is available to designated and additional GWIMS members in our records on the first day of the voting period.
When is the voting period?
Voting by electronic ballot will be available on June 24, 2014. The voting process will close on July 8, 2014 at 11:59 pm EDT.