Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
Postdoctorate Leaders Section
In October 2002, the GREAT Group established a Postdoctorate Committee to focus on policy issues related to postdoctorate education. During the course of this committee's deliberation, increasing consensus developed within the GREAT Group Steering Committee and the membership of the desirability of forming a Postdoctorate Leaders Section to meet a national need. In February 2008, the AAMC Executive Council approved a proposal to establish a new Postdoctorate Leaders Section of the GREAT Group. Membership in this body includes the institutional leaders of postdoctoral training programs at medical schools.
The mission of the Postdoctorate Leaders Section of the GREAT Group is to support and enhance the quality of postdoctoral research training and professional development by providing a forum for the faculty members and administrative officials responsible for postdoctoral education and training policy matters at LCME accredited medical schools and teaching hospitals.
The goals of this Section are to:
- Facilitate and enhance the ability of institutional leaders to provide quality postdoctoral research training and professional development for postdoctoral appointees at their institution.
- Support the development of institutional policies for postdoctoral appointees such as equitable compensation, benefits, term appointment limits, leave policies, and grievance procedures;
- Support and provide guidance for the development and functioning of postdoctoral offices;
- Develop opportunities to share models of good practices for postdoctorate policies and educational programs;
- Acknowledge, support, and develop strategies that promote successful mentoring relationships among postdoctoral trainees and their faculty mentors;
- Acknowledge and support strategies that promote diversity to broaden the participation of underrepresented populations;
- Foster interaction and collaboration with funding agencies and professional organizations; and
- Identify metrics that allow institutions to systematically assess the quality of their postdoctoral research training and professional development efforts and assist them in gathering and analyzing data.