Looking for Member-only Content?
Sign in here to update your member information.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
In the fall of 2004, the Executive Council approved a proposal to establish a new MD-PhD Section of the GREAT Group. Membership in this body includes the faculty who serve as the institutional leaders of MD-PhD programs (MSTP and others) at medical schools.
The mission of the MD-PhD Section is to advance the education, training and career development of physician-scientists, with an emphasis on training in the MD-PhD programs of LCME accredited medical schools. Individuals who are trained as both physicians and scientists make unique contributions to biomedical research, the translation of that research from theory to practice, and the leadership of academic health centers. The Section will promote the development, growth, and nurturing of physician-scientist training programs by representing the interests of MD-PhD programs and their students in the areas of admissions, educational programs, scientific curricula, research and clinical training, and post-graduate career development. To accomplish this, the Section will strive to:
Foster the development of innovative and successful methods for the education, training, and career development of physician-scientists across the spectrum of basic and clinical research;
Promote the sharing of these methods and the rigorous evaluation of their success;
Advocate for a continuing investment in the education and development of physician-scientists at all stages of their training and careers, and;
Serve as a resource within GREAT and the AAMC on matters relating to the Section's areas of interest and expertise.
The goals of the MD-PhD Section include:
- To facilitate and enhance the ability of institutions to improve human health through the education and training of physician-scientists.
- To aid in the optimization of the training of physician-scientists at the pre- and post-graduate levels so as to improve the likelihood that they will become successful investigators in a timely manner.
- To gather and analyze data in support of its mission.
- To advocate for effective integration of training and career pathways for physician-scientists at institutional, local, and national levels.
- To educate the public and policy makers regarding the contribution of physician-scientists in the discovery and translation of biomedical research into human disease prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- To foster networking and information exchange among MD-PhD programs and their leadership.
- To coordinate and engage with entities within the AAMC that have complementary and/or overlapping interests.