Integrating an Effective CME Presence into the Academic Medical Center
The 2014 update of the Continuing Education and Improvement Section of the Group on Educational Affairs (GEA) and the AAMC Medical Education Cluster.
What is CEI?
“Continuing Education and Improvement” is defined by the continuing education community as a set of activities and programs conceived and directed by the AAMC, enabling the achievement of an effective, quality-driven, integrated presence for continuing professional development in academic medical centers and health systems. CEI is supported by a team at the AAMC that manages, coordinates, and staffs these activities and programs.
It is 2020. The Continuing Education units and programs of the medical schools, teaching hospitals, and health systems of the US and Canada are fully aligned with the institution’s missions; are able to create and assess effective educational interventions; and are seen as critical tool in the delivery of evidence-based, cost-effective, quality-driven healthcare. They are led by knowledgeable individuals with an awareness of quality improvement, patient safety, and educational methodologies.
The purpose of AAMC’s CEI activity is to promote excellence in the education of health professionals throughout their careers, thereby contributing to the health of the public and meeting the institution’s missions in clinical care, research, and education. Guided and advised by the CEI Section, we foster:
- The development of and advocacy for continuing education and improvement programs to enhance physician and health professional learning;
- The professional development of faculty educators and continuing education specialists/experts;
- The advancement of research in continuing education, implementation science, and related fields, and the dissemination of the results of that research;
- The development of policies that recognize the fundamental importance of continuing medical education;
- The integration of quality improvement and patient safety into educational activities and practice;
- The communication between the AAMC and CEI Section members, among the members of the CEI Section, and within the CME community at large on local, regional, and national levels.
Continuing Education and Improvement (CEI)
The CEI site attempts to guide academic Continuing Medical Education leaders, planners, and teachers as they move CME from a primarily conference-based model to one which employs best educational methods and Quality Improvement (QI) and Performance Improvement (PI) principles to close the clinical care gap. The site includes links to resources, meetings, publications, quality measures, and other means to plan and evaluate programming.
More CEI Section Resources
What's the CEI Section?
Join the CEI Section
We welcome your involvement in the activities of the CEI Section, appreciate your comments and feedback, and encourage you to sign up for CENews, the bi-weekly newsletter for the CE community.
About the GEA
GEA Regional and SACME Meetings
Collaborating to Train Tomorrow’s Physicians Spring Conference, 2015 CGEA/CGSA/COSR Regional Meeting
April 9-12, 2015
Ohio State University
Advancing Medical Education: Aligning Teaching & Technology with Learning & Practice, Northeast Group on Educational Affairs (NEGEA) 2015 Annual Retreat
April 17-18, 2015
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Boarders and Boundaries, 2015 WGEA/WGSA/WOSR/WAAHP Spring Meeting
April 23-26, 2015
The US Grant Hotel
San Diego, Calif.
Interprofessional Education: Beyond the Limits, 2015 Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA) Annual Meeting
April 24-26, 2015
Westin Charlotte, Charlotte, N.C.
Leading for Success in Turbulent Times , SACME 2015 Spring Meeting
April 29-May 2, 2015
Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS)