Herbert W. Nickens Medical Student Scholarships
These awards consist of five scholarships given to outstanding students entering their third year of medical school who have shown leadership in efforts to eliminate inequities in medical education and health care and have demonstrated leadership efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States. Each recipient receives a $5,000 scholarship.
The deadline to email your nomination packet is May 1, 2015.
A medical school may nominate one student per year for this award. A candidate must be:
- a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and
- entering the third year of study in a LCME-accredited U.S. medical school in fall 2015. Students enrolled in combined degree programs (such as M.D./Ph.D.) are eligible when they are entering their third year of medical school.
The nomination packet must include:
a nomination letter from the medical school's dean or dean's designee stating that the candidate has maintained good academic standing throughout the first two years, (must be stated for consideration) and discussing the nominee's:
- demonstrated leadership efforts in addressing the educational, societal, and health-care needs of racial and ethnic minorities;
- awards and honors that show commitment to eliminating inequities;
- special research projects, and/or extracurricular activities that demonstrate leadership abilities and;
- any outstanding achievement while in medical school.
- a letter of recommendation from the medical school's institutional GSA diversity affairs officer;
- a letter of recommendation from a faculty member;
- a personal statement by the nominee, which does not exceed two double space pages, assessing their leadership efforts in eliminating inequities in medical education and health care for racial and ethnic minorities and;
- a curriculum vitae (CV) for the nominee, which clearly highlight awards and scholarships, and includes contact information.
*All letters and personal statements should be doubled-spaced with 1”margins, and size 12, Times New roman font.
Please email your completed nomination package (in a single file) to Angela Moses at NickensAwards@aamc.org by May 1, 2015. Late nominations will not be considered.
Commemorating Dr. Herbert W. Nickens' Legacy
Interactive Commemorative Program:
Reflections on Diversity and Inclusion in Academic Medicine
Nickens Medical Student Checklist
Medical Student Scholarship Nomination Packet Checklist
2015 Nickens Student Award Brochure
2015 Student Nickens Award Brochure
2014 Nickens Student Scholarship Recipients
F. Garrett Conyers
Harvard medicine School
Ami E. Kumordzie
Standford School of Medicine
Alexa M. Mieses
Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Adam J. Milam, Ph.D.
Wayne State University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles, David Geffen School of Medicine
Read more about the 2014 recipients