Herbert W. Nickens Medical Student Scholarships
Deadline: April 7, 2017
These awards consist of five scholarships given to outstanding students entering their third year of medical school who have shown leadership in efforts to eliminate inequities in medical education and health care and have demonstrated leadership efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States. Each recipient receives a $5,000 scholarship.
A medical school may nominate one student per year for this award. A candidate must be:
- A U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status
- Entering the third year of study in a LCME-accredited U.S. medical school in fall 2017
Students enrolled in combined degree programs (such as MD/PhD) are eligible when they are entering their third year of medical school.
The nomination packet must include:
1. Completed coversheet .
2. A nomination letter from the medical school's dean or dean's designee (not to exceed four double-spaced pages) stating verbatim that the candidate has maintained good academic standing throughout the first two years, (“maintained good academic standing” must be stated for consideration) and discussing the nominee's:
- Demonstrated leadership efforts in addressing the educational, societal, and health-care needs of racial and ethnic minorities
- Awards and honors that show commitment to eliminating inequities
- Special research projects, and/or extracurricular activities that demonstrate leadership abilities
- Any outstanding achievement while in medical school
3. A letter of recommendation from the medical school's institutional GSA diversity affairs officer (not to exceed four double-spaced pages). Should the institution not have a GSA diversity affairs officer, the nominator must be noted in the coversheet as the replacement.
4. A letter of recommendation from a faculty member (not to exceed four double-spaced pages).
5. A personal statement by the nominee assessing their leadership efforts in eliminating inequities in medical education and health care for racial and ethnic minorities (not to exceed two double-space pages).
6. A curriculum vitae (CV) for the nominee, which clearly highlight awards and scholarships, and includes contact information.
All letters and personal statements should be doubled-spaced with 1”margins, in Times New Roman with a 12-point font size.
Please email your completed nomination packet in a single electronic file to Patricia Pascoe at NickensAwards@aamc.org by April 7, 2017. Late nominations will not be considered.
Nickens Medical Student Coversheet
Medical Student Scholarship Nomination Packet Coversheet
2016 Nickens Student Scholarship Recipients
The University of Arizona College of Medicine
UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Kamaal A. Jones
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Read more about the 2016 recipients