The Government Accountability Office (GAO) May 29 announced the appointment of five new members to the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC). The new commissioners include:
- Karen DeSalvo, MD, MPH, MSc, Professor of Medicine and Population Health, Dell Medical School at the University of Texas
- Marjorie Ginsburg, BSN, MPH, Sacramento, CA
- Jonathan Jaffery, MD, MS, MMM, Professor of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Jonathan Perlin, MD, PhD, MSHA, President of Clinical Services and Chief Medical Officer, HCA
- Jaewon Ryu, MD, JD, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Geisinger Health System
- Susan Thompson, RN, Senior Vice President of Integration and Optimization, UnityPoint Health was reappointed to the commission.
All six members’ terms will expire in April 2021. The AAMC is pleased that the new appointees will bring significant experience and knowledge to MedPAC reports and discussions.
MedPAC is an independent congressional agency established to advise Congress on issues affecting the Medicare program, including Medicare Advantage plans, access to care, quality of care, and payment to providers. The commission is composed of 17 members who are appointed to staggered three year terms.