Video Length: 22 minutes
In this video, Kristen Eckstrand, MD, PhD a resident in the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry and co-editor of the AAMC publication, Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who Are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD, interviews Jamie Feldman, MD, PhD an Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health and Faculty in the Human Sexuality Program at the University of Minnesota.
In this engaging conversation, Drs. Feldman and Eckstrand discuss gender identity development, creating a supportive and welcoming clinical environment for transgender patients, the key concepts health professionals should know about transgender health, and where and how to best include these topics in the medical education curriculum.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the clinical relevance related to the spectrum of gender identity terms.
- Differentiate transgender and gender nonconforming patient healthcare needs by developmental stage.
- Describe at least 3 examples of ways to successfully care for transgender and gender nonconforming patients in the clinical environment.
Develop a plan to include transgender and gender nonconforming patient health content in the learner’s institution.
Kristen L. Eckstrand, MD, PhD
PGY1 Resident, University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry
Associate Editor, MedEdPORTAL Differences of Sex Development Health Collection
Past Chair, AAMC Advisory Committee on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Sex Development
Founding Director, Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program for LGBTI Health
Jamie Feldman, MD, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
Faculty, Human Sexuality
University of Minnesota
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health Learning Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Transgender Persons
- The Endocrine Society
- Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- Mazzoni Center Transgender Resource Guide
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Principles of Transgender Medicine and Surgery
- Trans PULSE Project
- Vancouver Coastal Health: Transgender Health Information Program
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Teaching Gender Identity and Transgender Health with Jamie Feldman." (October, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: /initiatives/diversity/441824/teachingtransfeldman.html