The role of the chief medical officer (CMO) has rapidly evolved as the health care environment has grown more complex. It is important for today’s academic medicine leaders to train and prepare the next generation of CMOs to successfully meet both the clinical and business demands of this position. This 15-month executive training program defines the unique role, responsibilities, and influence of the CMO as a high-functioning member of the C-suite.
Using a blended approach of peer learning, paired mentors, independent project work and face-to-face and virtual meetings, this curriculum, designed by teaching hospital and health system CMOs, covers administrative and leadership topics that are critical to CMOs’ success.
Who Should Attend?
Newly appointed CMOs who are in their first four years of the position, and senior physician leaders preparing to assume the CMO role in the next one to three years.
Application & Fees
As an application-based program that requires support from the applicant’s member institution, applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for the program:
(1) be from an AAMC member institution or affiliate, or teaching hospital
(2) be sponsored by the CEO of their teaching hospital or Dean of their medical school
(3) identify a care redesign project to implement while participating in the program
(4) display commitment to attend all five in-person workshops, six virtual meetings
The application fee for the CMO Leadership Academy is $6,200. Fees include all program materials and meals/refreshment breaks for all six in-person meetings. Fees also include access to five virtual educational sessions as well as registration for the 2020 Chief Medical Officers Group (CMOG) and Group on Faculty Practice (GFP) Spring Meeting. The application fee does not include the optional CME fee, any form of travel to and from in-person or any other meetings, hotel accommodations for in-person or any other meetings, registration fees for any additional meetings. Accepted applicants will be responsible for covering program expenses not included in the program registration fee.
Note: The next Academy class will start in January 2022. The application period will be open in early Fall.
More details will be announced later.
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe the critical success factors associated with the CMO role.
- Develop administrative skills required to perform the CMO role.
- Determine opportunities and cultivate strategies to create better alignment within care system.
- Utilize principles and strategies for leveraging influence to motivate individuals, change behaviors, and
drive mutually desired outcomes in the present and/or absence of direct authority.
Questions? Email email@example.com