Whether on NIH funding, the physician shortage, or CMS’ star ratings, faculty members and academic societies can and should have a powerful voice on the national policy issues affecting academic medicine. These resources will help CFAS reps stay engaged and up to date on those issues.
CFAS has already distributed several AAMC sign-on opportunities to member societies this year. Below are links to the letters:
- Dream Act Health Professions Letter
- FY 2020 Canine Research Community Letter
- GME Sign-on Letter
- Ad Hoc Group for Medical Research's FY2020 Recommendation for NIH Funding
- Endorsers of Ad Hoc Group for Medical Research's FY2020 NIH Funding Recommendation
- Health Professions and Nursing Coalition (HPNEC) Funding Recommendation for FY2020 Title VII Health Professions and Title VII Nursing Workforce Development Programs
NDD United Sign-on Letter Advocating Increase in FY2020-21 Budget Caps (form)
More Advocacy Resources:
- AAMC Advocacy & Policy: The AAMC raises awareness of issues that impact medical schools and teaching hospitals through both long-term and short-term campaigns and coalitions.
- AAMC Letter Opposing Proposed NIH F&A Cuts (PDF): CFAS-member societies were asked to sign onto a letter that the AAMC sent to HHS Secretary Tom Price and OMB Director Mick Mulvaney on the proposed NIH F&A cuts.
- Policy Priorities to Improve the Nation's Health (PDF): The AAMC's transition book for educating the new presidential administration, Congress, and other policy leaders on the issues affecting academic medicine.
- Academic Medicine’s Key Priorities (PDF): Specific ways faculty members can lobby Congress to take action on the AAMC’s four major advocacy issues.
- AAMC Ad Hoc Group for Medical Research: A coalition in support of increased funding for the NIH.
- Testimony and Correspondence: A collection of the AAMC’s comment letters and other public correspondence. The collection includes a number of AAMC sign-on letters signed by CFAS-member societies.
- Washington Highlights: The AAMC's weekly news summary covering legislative and regulatory issues of importance to medical schools and teaching hospitals. Subscribe here.
- AAMC Action: The AAMC’s digital grassroots advocacy community.
- CFAS News: All reps receive the CFAS News newsletter, but you can also view it online or add a colleague to the distribution list.
Individuals should also reach out to their institution's government relations contacts for guidance.