Building on the data from the AAMC publication Altering the Course: Black Males in Medicine, the Action Collaborative for Black Men in Medicine (the "Action Collaborative") is a network community that focuses on systemic solutions to increase the representation and success of Black men interested in medicine sponsored by the AAMC and the National Medical Association (NMA).
The charge of the Action Collaborative is to:
- Identify replicable solutions to amplify and support Black men’s interest in a career in medicine and/or in the biomedical sciences;
- Use existing data and evidence to develop systems-based solutions to address exclusionary practices that create barriers for Black men and prevent them from having equitable opportunities to successfully enroll in medical school;
- Convene key stakeholders to act on solutions that are measurable in 2-5 years.
The Action Collaborative recognizes that the number of Black men applicants and matriculants into medical school remains relatively unchanged, and this is now considered to be a national crisis by the AAMC, NMA and the NASEM. We also recognize that interventions are needed as early as elementary school. We will streamline our efforts on areas of the continuum where AAMC and NMA may have the greatest impact, which is from high school (i.e., 11th and 12th grades) through medical school (i.e., years 1 and 2).
Action Collaborative for Black Men in Medicine National Meeting
June 6-7, 2023
Noon-5 p.m. ET
*This is a virtual event
Join the AAMC, the NMA, and leaders from across the country to develop a national action plan to address the underrepresentation of Black men in medicine. Sessions will focus on organizing systems-based solutions within the context of collective impact, setting priorities for action planning, and identifying existing efforts and opportunities for coordinated action. Anyone interested in advancing systems change to increase the representation of Black men in medicine is invited to participate.
Join the Community
Complete this form to join the Action Collaborative for Black Men in Medicine Virtual Community. This space is for everyone who is interested and committed to supporting Black men as they navigate pathways to become our future doctors.
Related Publications and Data
- Action Collaborative Press Release: AAMC, NMA Announce Action Collaborative on Black Men in Medicine
- AAMC report: Altering the Course: Black Males in Medicine
- Academic Medicine article: Increasing the Representation of Black Men in Medicine by Addressing Systems Factors
- JAMA viewpoint: Diversity in Medical Schools: A Much-Needed New Beginning
- NASEM report: An American Crisis: The Growing Absence of Black Men in Medicine and Science: Proceedings of a Joint Workshop
- The Hill op-ed: Supporting Black men in medicine can uplift the health of the nation
- AAMC Beyond the White Coat: Making the Rounds Podcast Series - Black Men in Medicine: Meeting the Challenge
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) prehealth advising webinar: Dispelling the Myths of Admissions
Programs and Organizations
This is a sample of programs dedicated to increasing access and support for Black men to pursue medicine.
- Black Men in White Coats
- Summer Health Professions Education Program
- Mentoring in Medicine
- Tour for Diversity in Medicine
- Black & Latino Men in Medicine
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.