Video Length: 11 minutes
In this video, Andrew Hollenbach, PhD, an Associate Professor of Genetics at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and co-editor of the AAMC publication, Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who Are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD, interviews David Malebranche, MD, MPH, a Primary Care Physician at the University of Pennsylvania’s Student Health Services.
In this engaging conversation, Drs. Malebranche and Hollenbach discuss gender identity development, creating a supportive and welcoming clinical environment for transgender patients, the key concepts health professionals should know about transgender health, and where and how to best include these topics in the medical education curriculum.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the clinical relevance related to the spectrum of gender identity terms.
- Differentiate transgender and gender nonconforming patient healthcare needs by developmental stage.
- Describe at least 3 examples of ways to successfully care for transgender and gender nonconforming patients in the clinical environment.
- Develop a plan to include transgender and gender nonconforming patient health content in the learner’s institution.
Andrew Hollenbach, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
David Malebranche, MD, MPH
Primary Care Physician
Student Health Services, University of Pennsylvania
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health Learning Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Transgender Persons
- The Endocrine Society
- Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- Mazzoni Center Transgender Resource Guide
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Principles of Transgender Medicine and Surgery
- Trans PULSE Project
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Teaching Gender Identity and Transgender Health with David Malebranche." (October, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: /initiatives/diversity/441828/teachingtransmalebranche.html