Video Length: 30 minutes
In this video, Lee Jones, MD, Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of California Davis School of Medicine, interviews Shane Snowdon, MA, the Past Director of the Health and Aging Program at the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and Founding Director of the Center for LGBT Health and Equity at the University of California San Francisco. During this conversation, they discuss: the definition of inclusiveness, the importance of equity and protection for groups that have historically faced discrimination, the importance of visual inclusivity, the steps necessary for creating an inclusive environment, the positive impact that exposure to LGBT individuals in academic medicine can have on students, programs, and the institutional culture.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the role of an inclusive institutional climate in academic medicine.
- Describe at least three challenges in creating an inclusive institutional climate.
- Discuss at least three strategies for creating an inclusive institutional climate.
- Describe the impact of institutional climate in facilitating or hindering the ability of trainees to learn how to provide culturally competent care to LGBT and DSD-affected patients.
Lee Jones, MD
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
University of California Davis School of Medicine
Shane Snowdon, MA
Past Director, Health and Aging Program
Human Rights Campaign Foundation
Founding Director, Center for LGBT Health and Equity
University of California San Francisco School of Medicine
- Human Rights Campaign Health and Aging Program
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who Are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD
- Recommendations for Enhancing the Climate for LGBT Students and Employees in Health Professional Schools: a GLMA White Paper.
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Enhancing Institutional Culture and Climate for LGBT and DSD Populations with Shane Snowden." (November, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: /initiatives/diversity/449484/eccsnowden.html