Video Length: 25 minutes
In this video, Kristen L. Eckstrand, MD, PhD, co-chair of the AAMC Advisory Committee on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Sex Development, interviews Jamie Feldman, MD, PhD, Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health and faculty member in the Program of Human Sexuality at the University of Minnesota. In this engaging conversation, Drs. Eckstrand and Feldman discuss the importance of determining patients’ support systems, the relationship between minority stressors and increased health risk factors, the necessity of empathetic open-dialogue that addresses said stressors, and the health risks associated with patients’ anatomy.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of resilience and coping for LGBT individuals across the lifespan.
- Describe lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender population-specific programs designed to encourage development of healthy coping behaviors.
- Describe the importance of population-specific support services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender individuals who are in recovery and/or coping with illness.
- Discuss at least 3 opportunities for integrating LGBT-specific health promotion into medical training.
Kristen L. Eckstrand, MD, PhD
PGY1 Resident, University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry
Associate Editor, MedEdPORTAL Differences of Sex Development Health Collection
Co-Chair, AAMC Advisory Committee on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Sex Development
Founding Director, Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program for LGBTI Health
Jamie Feldman, MD, PhD
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
Faculty in the Program of Human Sexuality
University of Minnesota
- Snowdon, S. (2013). Recommendations for Enhancing the Climate for LGBT Students and Employees in Health Professional Schools: a GLMA White Paper.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health Learning Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Transgender Persons
- The Endocrine Society
- Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- Mazzoni Center Transgender Resource Guide
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Principles of Transgender Medicine and Surgery
- Trans PULSE Project
- Vancouver Coastal Health: Transgender Health Information Program
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Health Promotion Strategies for LGBT Persons with Jamie Feldman, MD, PhD." (November, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: /initiatives/diversity/449490/healthpromofeldman.html