Video Length: 3 minutes
In this vignette, viewers are given an example of ineffective medical history. The clinician makes assumptions about his patient’s anatomy, leading him to ask questions that are not relevant to his patient’s medical history or health. The vignette concludes with the clinician apologizing to the patient and modeling behavior that would be useful for clinicians who find themselves in similar circumstances. This vignette is part of a clinical vignette series highlighting various aspects of the health of LGBT and gender nonconforming populations and is designed to give learners the opportunity to analyze clinician-patient communication strategies. The series can be used in a variety of ways from independent learning to small group learning to large group learning. Each clip is generally three to five minutes long with discussion questions and additional resources listed at the end of each scenario. In an ideal setting the learner would be able to practice the communication strategies identified after viewing the vignettes.
By the completion of this vignette/vignette series, the learner will be able to:
- Identify three strategies to engage LGBT patients in the clinical environment.
- Discuss methods to sensitively approach history taking and physical examination with LGBT patients.
- Describe three verbal or non-verbal strategies to identify sexual orientation and gender identity in the clinical environment.
- Describe three unique risk factors for health conditions related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Outline three techniques for tailoring health promotion strategies to the needs of LGBT patients.
Henry Ng, MD, MPH, FAAP, FACP
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Department of Internal Medicine
Department of Pediatrics
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
AAMC Advisory Committee on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Sex Development. (February, 2016). Clinical Vignettes. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: internal:/node/8806