Council of Deans (COD)
The Council of Deans (COD) is the only organization of its kind, convening deans of AAMC member medical schools in the U.S. and Canada to address issues affecting academic medicine and develop strategies to achieve excellence in medical education, research, and patient care.
Guide to the Council of Deans
This body addresses: policies guiding the association in its service and advocacy functions; programs for the advancement of institutional management; and support for the deans' leadership role in guiding individual schools toward excellence in medical education, research and patient care.
The Council provides:
- A venue for deans to address the concerns of their constituencies: medical students; graduate students in the life sciences; physicians-in-training; physicians and scientists on medical school faculties;
- Assistance to deans in fulfilling individual school missions;
- A means for deans to develop consensus among their broad and varied perspectives;
- A conduit for deans to advocate their views within and through the AAMC; and
- Mentoring for and professional development of deans.
Adopted by the AAMC Council of Deans October 1994
Meet the Staff
Ann Steinecke, PhD
Senior Director, Academic Affairs and Constituent Engagement
Nicole Sweeney, MA
Director, Medical School Leadership
Sierra Alewine, MS
Program Specialist, Medical School Leadership
To reach a member of the COD program staff, please contact COD@aamc.org.
The COD participates in many meetings throughout the year. Explore a list and full description of learning offerings.
Rules and Regulations
Official governance and administration information for members of the Council of Deans.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
COD members can use AAMC CareerConnect to post open positions at their institutions and attract top talent in academic medicine.