Season 2, Episode 3
The national conversation on systemic and institutional racism is sparking efforts to boost racial and ethnic diversity in the nation’s medical schools. Like the larger society, longstanding discrimination and bias in medical education has led to negative outcomes for Black Americans seeking careers in medicine, but also for the communities of color that need health care.
Max Jordan Nguemeni Tiako, MS, is a fourth-year medical student at Yale School of Medicine. He grew up in Yaounde, Cameroon. He earned a bachelor of science in civil and environmental engineering from Howard University and a master of science in bioengineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. His research interests include cardiovascular health, addiction medicine, and the built environment's impact on health. He is currently spending his research year as a fellow in the Center for Emergency Care Policy and Research at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. He writes about racism in medical education in the medical student magazine In-Training in his column “White Coat and a Hoodie.” He is the host of a podcast focusing on health disparities called “Flip the Script.”
Hosted by Geoffrey Young, PhD, AAMC senior director of student affairs and programs.
Produced by Stephanie Weiner, AAMC director of digital strategy and engagement, and Kathy Gambrell, AAMC senior digital content strategist.
Episode recorded and edited by Laura Zelaya, AAMC production manager.
With special contributions from Zenneia McLendon, AAMC director of digital content strategy, and Sholape Oriola, AAMC video specialist.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- AAMC Framework for Addressing and Eliminating Racism at the AAMC, in Academic Medicine, and Beyond
- “AAMC Releases Framework to Address and Eliminate Racism” (AAMCNews)
- AAMC Racism and Health Resources
- “Medical Schools Need to Do Much More to Protect Students of Color From Racism” (AAMCNews)
- “Academic Medical Leaders and Learners Reflect on Police Brutality, Racism, and the Path Forward” (AAMCNews)
- “Ibram X. Kendi Defines What It Means to Be an Antiracist”
- White Coat and a Hoodie column (In-Training)
- “Flip the Script” Podcast