Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship
Deadline: April 7, 2017
The award recognizes an outstanding junior faculty member who demonstrates leadership potential in addressing inequity in medical education and health care; demonstrated efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States; and is committed to a career in academic medicine. The recipient receives a $15,000 grant to support project preformed in the United States to support racial and ethnic minorities. Funding for the fellowship begins in November of the year the fellowship is awarded. The recipient will be required to submit a final narrative and financial report by November 2019.
The deadline to email your nomination packet is April 7, 2017.
A medical school may nominate one current faculty member per year for this award. A candidate must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Hold the rank of full-time assistant professor in a LCME-accredited U.S. medical school department.
- Have held the assistant professor position appointment beginning no earlier than July 1, 2014.
- Have received only one appointment as assistant professor.
- Hold a MD, PhD, or have earned another doctoral degree.
Nomination packet must include:
1. Completed coversheet .
2. A nomination letter from the medical school’s dean or the dean’s designee (please state if dean’s designee) discussing the nominee’s:
- Demonstrated efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the Unites States.
- Potential for leadership in addressing inequities in medical education in health care.
- Strong promise for a career in academic medicine.
3. A letter of recommendation from the nominee’s department or section chair.
4. A letter of recommendation from an individual of the nominee’s choosing.
5. A personal statement from the nominee discussing his or her motivations and objectives for a career in academic medicine (not to exceed two double-spaced pages).
6. A project description which could include project aims, objectives, goals, and potential accomplishments (not to exceed two double-spaced pages).
7. An itemized one-page budget with specific details on how the fellowship funds will be used.
8. A current curriculum vitae (CV) for the nominee, which clearly indicates exact date of appointment and current contact information.
All letters and personal statements should be double-spaced with 1” margins, in Times New Roman with a 12-point font size.
Please email your completed nomination packet in a single electronic file to Patricia Pascoe at NickensAwards@aamc.org by April 7, 2017. Late nominations will not be considered.
Award Program Book
2016 Herbert W. Nickens Award Program Book
Nomination Packet Coversheet
Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship Nomination Packet Coversheet
2016 Nickens Award Winner
Stanley K. Frencher, Jr., MD, MPH
Department of Urology
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Previous Nickens Faculty Fellowship Award Winners
Herbert W. Nickens Award winners from 2000 - 2015.