Video Length: 36 minutes
In this video Carey Roth Bayer, EdD, RN, CSE interviews Lore M. Dickey, PhD and David Malebranche, MD, MPH, on the sociocultural and behavioral determinants of health for LGBT persons. In this engaging conversation, they discuss the diverse range of intersecting factors linked to LGBT health disparities, the effects of religious or spiritual practices on the health decisions of LGBT youth, the crucial part support and effective listening plays in the health decisions of LGBT adults and seniors, providing appropriate health care based on patients’ present anatomy, how to use intake or supplemental forms to create a trusting environment, and including resiliency in the framing and assessment of LGBT health.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Distinguish between sociocultural and behavioral determinants of health for LGBT individuals.
- Identify 5 social and behavioral determinants of health and their disproportionate impact on LGBT patients across the lifespan.
- Describe 5 health risk behaviors prevalent in LGBT populations and discuss the explanatory factors for these health risk behaviors.
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who Are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD: a Resource for Medical Educators. 2014.
- Institute of Medicine. The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: building a foundation for better understanding. Washington, DC. 2011.
- Makadon HJ et al. Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians; 2015.
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Sociocultural and Behavioral Determinants of Health for LGBT Persons." (November, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges.