Video Length: 1 hour, 27 minutes
This webinar thoroughly defines diversity and addresses the need to include sexual orientation and gender identity and expression in an academic health center's vision for diversity. Presenters highlight both actions taken by institutions in order to include all sexual orientations and gender identities, and key elements in their diversity strategies. It also identifies institution-specific opportunities to incorporate sexual orientations and gender identity into pre-existing diversity initiatives.
By the completion of the webinar, participants will be able to:
- Identify three reasons to include sexual orientation and gender identity and expression in the academic health center vision for diversity;
- Describe examples of actions institutions are implementing to include all sexual orientations and gender identities as key elements in diversity strategies; and
- Propose two institution-specific opportunities to incorporate sexual orientation and gender identity into ongoing diversity initiatives.
Carey Roth Bayer, EdD, RN, CSE
Associate Professor in the Departments of Community Health and Preventive Medicine/Medical Education
Morehouse School of Medicine
Associate Director of Educational Leadership
Satcher Health Leadership Institute
Kristen Eckstrand, PhD
Co-Director, Vanderbilt Program for LGBTI Health
M.D. Candidate, Class of 2015
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Jennifer Potter, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Director of the Women's Health Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Director of the Women's Health Program, Fenway Health
- Joint Commission Standards & Field Guide
- Healthcare Equality Index: Creating a National Standard for Equal Treatment of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Patients and Their Families
- Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Health, 2nd Edition
- Injustice at Every Turn - National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Enhancing Institutional Diversity through Inclusion of All Sexual Orientations and Gender Identities." (May, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges.