What is CPD?
“Continuing Professional Development” is defined by the continuing education community as a set of activities and programs conceived and directed by the AAMC, enabling the achievement of an effective, quality-driven, integrated presence for continuing professional development in academic medical centers and health systems. CPD is supported by a team at the AAMC that manages, coordinates, and staffs these activities and programs.
It is 2020. The Continuing Professional Development units and programs of the medical schools, teaching hospitals, and health systems of the US and Canada are fully aligned with the institution’s missions; are able to create and assess effective educational interventions; and are seen as critical tool in the delivery of evidence-based, cost-effective, quality-driven healthcare. They are led by knowledgeable individuals with an awareness of quality improvement, patient safety, and educational methodologies.
The purpose of AAMC’s CPD activity is to promote excellence in the education of health professionals throughout their careers, thereby contributing to the health of the public and meeting the institution’s missions in clinical care, research, and education. Guided and advised by the CPD Section, we foster:
- The development of and advocacy for continuing education and improvement programs to enhance physician and health professional learning;
- The professional development of faculty educators and continuing education specialists/experts;
- The advancement of research in continuing education, implementation science, and related fields, and the dissemination of the results of that research;
- The development of policies that recognize the fundamental importance of continuing medical education;
- The integration of quality improvement and patient safety into educational activities and practice;
- The communication between the AAMC and CPD Section members, among the members of the CPD Section, and within the CME community at large on local, regional, and national levels.
CPD Steering Committee
Clara Schroedl, MD
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Allison Rentfo, PhD
Director, Center for Continuing Medical Education
Alisa Nagler, JD, MA, EdD
Assistant Director of Accreditation, Validation and Credentialing
American College of Surgeons
Alice Fornari, EdD, RD
Associate Dean for Educational Skills Development
Donald and Barbara Zucker School or Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Roy Strowd, MD
Assistant Professor, Neurology
Assistant Professor, Hematology and Oncology
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Nels Carlson, MD
Assistant Dean, Continuing Professional Development
Oregon Health and Science University
Betsy Williams, PhD, MPH
Clinical Program Director
Professional Renewal Center