Abraham Flexner Award for Distinguished Service to Medical Education
The Abraham Flexner Award for Distinguished Service to Medical Education recognizes the highest standards in medical education and honors an individual annually whose impact on medical education is national in scope. First presented by the association in 1958, the Flexner Award is the AAMC’s most prestigious honor.
The awardee receives the Flexner Medal and a prize of $10,000.
Any individual who has made a significant national contribution to medical education is eligible for nomination. An individual’s tenure is not a criterion for this award. Nominees will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- National impact on undergraduate medical education
- National impact on graduate medical education
- National impact on research education
- National impact on interprofessional health education
- National impact on advancing the science of health professions education
- Personal expertise as a teacher and mentor
Guidelines for Entry
Nominations may be made by any faculty or staff member of an AAMC-member medical school, teaching hospital, or academic society.
Nominations must be received by January 27, 2017 via the electronic entry form .
The Flexner Review Selection Committee will review nominations and invite selected nominators to submit additional support materials, including:
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae, including current address
- One two-page letter of support of the nominee authored by an AAMC-member institution’s dean, chief executive officer, or president on institutional letterhead addressed to the Flexner Review Selection Committee
- Three additional two-page letters of support attesting to the nominee’s qualifications for the Flexner Award
Selected nominators will be notified February 27, 2017, if they are invited to submit additional materials. There is no need to compile these resources before notification on February 27. Additional support materials must be submitted by April 7, 2017, via email to Sandra Gordon at email@example.com.
The winner of the award will be notified by July 31, 2017, and honored at Learn Serve Lead 2017 in Boston.
Please address all questions to:
Association of American Medical Colleges
655 K Street, NW, Suite 100
Washington, DC 20001-2339
Recent Flexner Award Recipients