GME Track® is a resident database and tracking system that was introduced in March 2000 to assist GME administrators and program directors in the collection and management of GME data. GME Track contains the National GME Census, which is jointly conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association and reduces duplicative reporting by replacing the AAMC's and AMA's previously separate GME surveys. The National GME Census is completed by residency program directors and institutional officials. The Census is comprised of two components: the Resident Survey and the Program Survey. Resident data and program data are confirmed annually, and the survey cycle can be updated between May and February, while the GME Track application is open.
Benefits of GME Track include:
- Immediate and on-going access to biographical and training information
- Ability to view and print resident information and program rosters
- Medical schools have access to GME Track, with the ability to view and download their graduates' GME data
- In addition, GME Track data are used by both organizations, in accordance with each organization’s privacy and data use policies, to provide medical students, residents, and the academic medicine community with information about specific programs through online search tools (e.g., FREIDA™, the AMA Residency & Fellowship Database®; and AAMC’s Residency Explorer). Furthermore, GME Track data are used for research and educational purposes to inform policy analyses, to conduct research studies and outcomes evaluations, and to provide data reports and ad hoc data requests to qualified third parties.
GME Track Data Use
Use by the AAMC and the AMA of data collected through GME Track will be subject to their respective policies:
AAMC Privacy Notice:
AMA Data Licensing Privacy Notice:
National GME Census Timeline
- Program Survey Opens: May 20, 2020
- August FREIDA Deadline: July 17, 2020
- Resident Survey Opens: July 29, 2020
- October FREIDA Deadline: September 30, 2020
- Final GME Track Deadline: December 18, 2020