Themes & Goals
The strategic planning team has drafted high-level strategic themes as well as goals to support each of those themes.
Across these four draft themes and their associated goals, the AAMC will focus on enabling people to create cultures of collaboration, inclusion, wellness, and systemic change.
Theme 1: The AAMC will catalyze solutions for the biggest challenges facing medical schools, teaching hospitals and health systems, and the people and communities they serve.
- Enhance the AAMC’s role to formulate, disseminate, and help implement new policies and programs to shape the future of health.
- Identify and disseminate effective practices for academic medicine.
- Convene stakeholders, build coalitions, and mobilize the community to address specific challenges.
- Lead and support targeted change initiatives to address academic medicine’s and community needs.
- Provide services, information and data for learners, constituents and partner organizations that enable insightful and timely decisions in academic medicine.
Theme 2: The AAMC will be the voice of academic medicine.
- Broaden learner, constituent, and public understanding of the AAMC and the missions and value of academic medicine.
- Maximize our expertise, reach(breadth), and data to amplify the AAMC’s voice, influence, and impact.
- Develop and advocate for policy solutions to advance academic medicine’s missions and be a proactive agent of change to improve health.
- Strengthen and expand partnerships and engage a broader group of stakeholders to develop and advance effective solutions to improve health.
Theme 3: The AAMC will shape the workforce and develop the people of academic medicine to lead and thrive in a changing health care environment.
- Influence and drive changes to the workforce to meet health care needs now and in the future.
- Promote and enhance the development of interprofessional, patient-centered, family-oriented health care teams, including partnering with patients, families, and communities.
- Develop the capacity and skills of the people in academic medicine to effect system change.
- Reimagine how the AAMC empowers diverse voices in identifying solutions to the challenges facing academic medicine.
Theme 4: The AAMC will be a high-performing, diverse, and inclusive organization in support of our mission.
- Attract, develop, and engage people in an increasingly diverse and inclusive culture and supportive environment to deliver on our commitments.
- Effectively deploy AAMC expertise and resources to meet the changing needs of academic medicine.
- Establish alternate models and programs to diversify revenue sources.
- Position technology and infrastructure to empower the AAMC to meet our strategic priorities.