Video Length: 18 minutes
In this video, Andrew Hollenbach, PhD, an Associate Professor of Genetics at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and co-editor of the AAMC publication, Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who Are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD, interviews Scott Leibowitz, MD, the Head Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist in the Gender and Sex Development Program at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
In this engaging conversation, Drs. Leibowitz and Hollenbach discuss gender identity development, creating a supportive and welcoming clinical environment for transgender patients, the key concepts health professionals should know about transgender health, and where and how to best include these topics in the medical education curriculum.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the clinical relevance related to the spectrum of gender identity terms.
- Differentiate transgender and gender nonconforming patient healthcare needs by developmental stage.
- Describe at least 3 examples of ways to successfully care for transgender and gender nonconforming patients in the clinical environment.
- Develop a plan to include transgender and gender nonconforming patient health content in the learner’s institution.
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Practice Parameter
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health Learning Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Transgender Persons
- The Endocrine Society
- Fenway Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- Mazzoni Center Transgender Resource Guide
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Principles of Transgender Medicine and Surgery
- Trans PULSE Project
- Vancouver Coastal Health: Transgender Health Information Program
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Teaching Gender Identity and Transgender Health with Scott Leibowitz." (October, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges.