Video Length: 11 minutes
In this video, Lee Jones, MD, Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University Of California Davis School Of Medicine, interviews lore m. dickey, PhD, LP, Assistant Professor of Counseling Psychology in the Department of Psychology & Behavioral Sciences, Louisiana Tech University College of Education. In this engaging conversation, they discuss: the definition of inclusiveness and the steps necessary for creating an inclusive environment, the barriers encountered in creating inclusive environments, the necessity of engaging allies, and the positive impact administrators can have by making materials, processes, and resources as gender inclusive as possible.
After viewing this video, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the role of an inclusive institutional climate in academic medicine.
- Describe at least three challenges in creating an inclusive institutional climate.
- Discuss at least three strategies for creating an inclusive institutional climate.
- Describe the impact of institutional climate in facilitating or hindering the ability of trainees to learn how to provide culturally competent care to LGBT and DSD-affected patients.
Lee Jones, MD
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
University of California Davis School of Medicine
lore m. dickey, PhD, LP
Assistant Professor of Counseling Psychology
Department of Psychology & Behavioral Sciences
Louisiana Tech University College of Education
- Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who Are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD
- Recommendations for Enhancing the Climate for LGBT Students and Employees in Health Professional Schools: a GLMA White Paper.
Association of American Medical Colleges. "Enhancing Institutional Culture and Climate for LGBT and DSD Populations with lore m. dickey." (November, 2015). AAMC Videos and Resources. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges. Available online at: /initiatives/diversity/449486/eccdickey.html