Do you need accommodations for the MCAT exam?
Pre-Med Event Request
Request a speaker or materials from AAMC Pre-Med.
Creating a Study Plan for the MCAT Exam
Preparing for the MCAT exam takes time. Your time is precious—a delicate balance between coursework, extra-curriculars, and having a personal life. It is no surprise one of the most frequently asked questions we get is “What is the best way to prepare for the exam?”
There is no right or wrong way to study and prepare for the exam. But knowing where to start can be challenging. To help you get started, we have created a sample study plan.
1. Explore the content outline of the exam and necessary skills that you will be tested on using the interactive tool What’s on the MCAT2015 Exam?
2. Get a complete introduction to the exam with The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam at home or on-the-go. The Official Guide, in print or e-book, provides important information on registration, scoring, exam content, and includes 120 practice questions.
3. Start studying! Use the Khan Academy MCAT Video Collection which covers all the content of the exam. Customize your study by digging deeper into the content categories, watching the more than 800 videos, and answering hundreds of review questions.
4. Don’t forget about the resources already available to you through textbooks and class notes from completed courses, your campus library, academic support, and study groups.
5. If necessary, learn the concepts not included in your current coursework. The new section of the exam includes content covered in introductory psychology and sociology. Consider looking into the Psychology and Sociology Textbook Resource , a list of introductory psychology and sociology textbooks (many of them open-access) that show where in those textbooks the MCAT2015 content is included.
6. Begin practicing! Use the Official MCAT2015 Sample Test to simulate the test day experience. The Official Sample test offers you the ability to practice taking the test with the same look and functionality you will see on the actual exam. It can be taken in a variety of ways to customize your practice.
7. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect. The Official Question Packs provide 120 questions each in six subjects. They include solutions with each question. These Question Packs provide practice answering questions and can help you get comfortable with the exam look and functionality.
8. Continue your study and practice, targeting weaknesses and reinforcing strengths.
Remember, the best study plans are those that are tailored to your learning style and schedule.